Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
February 19th 2009
Published: February 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It's end of semester break and Jess got a whole week off (I get the whole month) so we headed for Hungary. Like most holidays when Jess was allowed to finally rest she got sick with the flu, and the day before we left we were thinking of throwing in the towel because Jess couldnt stop coughing, couldn't sleep, and felt rubbish. A good way to make enemies in hostel dorms. We headed for the doctor at 11:30am the day before we were to leave, and turned out all doctors were closed by then - tough job - so we went to the local chemist, got jess some cough medicine and herbal rubbish and went home ready for an early night as our train left at 6am the next day.

We were hopping in bed at 8pm when I (andrew) started to feel really sick, identical to when I had an 8 hr vomiting session for some unknown reason 3 weeks ago. It came on within 10 mins and it was so painful and not right that I decided to go to the hospital (our only source of treatment available at this time of night). We called an ambulance and by 9pm we were at the hospital, jess in tow.
After a long 5 hours in hospital the diagnosis was ‘we cant find what the problem is’ and ‘don’t go to Budapest’. As if. We got home and were in bed by 3am and slept for 2 hrs and caught the train to budapest😊

Budapest was awesome we had a really great time there and discovered some of the great history about the place. We saw a lot of the local sights including Heroes Square, the National Gallery (up on a hill looking across all of Budapest) and St. Stephens Basillica. We moved pretty slowly each day because we were recovering still but it was a nice holiday pace.


Then on Valentines Day, me being a romantic we went to the House of Terror and then off to some thermal baths where it was so freeeezing out of the water but so nice in. They had indoor and outdoor ones but the outdoor ones were best. After that to top it off we went ice skating next to a castle! Smooth huh? The ring was massive and we didnt fall over once. Woot!

Our hostels were good and its really cheap in Budapest. we could afford to eat out 😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Jess coldJess cold
Jess cold

Jess wore 8 tops and 3 trousers every day
Anyone for a fire in the Hostel with only 1 exit? 3.Anyone for a fire in the Hostel with only 1 exit? 3.
Anyone for a fire in the Hostel with only 1 exit? 3.

The kids bunk beds might explain why it was 6 euro a night :)


19th February 2009

I give you both an "A" for effort. How you managed to complete your holiday and with a smile is amazing. Well done! What an experience.
20th February 2009

hey guys - great to see you having a lovely break after all your hardwork through the year. xxxx top pics.
21st February 2009

cookiesatyarram
well done. memories forever
26th February 2009

Sending you both lots of love. Memories to cherish. Experiences to savour. Shell xoxo

Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb