A Cardboard car and a Pearl necklace


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
May 20th 2007
Published: May 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at the Hungarian border at 2pm and Tunde being from Hungary worked her magic and the crossing only took 7 minutes! Go Tunde! She was very excited about this part of the tour since this was her home and she was hoping that we would enjoy it. We arrived at our hotel in Budapest in the evening at the Tulip Inn. This one had air conditioner but was somewhat muggy at times. Our dinner was at the hotel and we sat with a woman who was traveling with her mother. Dinner included beef with french fries and the dessert was ricotta cheese wrapped in flour. It wasn't my favorite but did have a surprising sweet taste.
I was excited about tonight as we were doing a one hour evening cruise down the Danube as an optional excursion. We were to see the illumination of the Castle District, House of Parliament, Gellert Hill, the Chain Bridge and around Margaret Island. There were also 2 drinks included! We arrived and had to wait around for our boat to arrive. Our guide pointed out a TRABANT car which is also referred to as a "cardboard car". It has a box shape and was really made of duroplast and used to have a 2-stroke engine and a smoky exhaust. It was first produced in East Germany and could last as long as 28 years. We all marveled at it and each of us took turns getting our picture with it. I can't imagine what the owner probably thought.

Around 9pm, we boarded and Suzi & I sat on the outside deck with Mick and Kerry from Australia and Analishka. (sp.?) My first drink was champagne then a beer. Budapest was lovely at night with everything lit up. Our guide was right about the Chain Bridge looking like a "pearl necklace". with the white lights and was such a pretty sight! Parliament was really impressive with it's Gothic style and dome. I took 20 pictures of this building (evening and day) alone. Besides the dinners, the cruise was one of my favorite excursions we did and I couldn't wait to see more of Budapest tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Chain Bridge and Buda CastleChain Bridge and Buda Castle
Chain Bridge and Buda Castle

Cruising down the Danube River taking in the views of the Chain Bridge and Buda Castle.
Buda CastleBuda Castle
Buda Castle

from our boat
Not sure what this is?Not sure what this is?
Not sure what this is?

but it was on the Danube
House of ParliamentHouse of Parliament
House of Parliament

from our cruise of the Danube
House of ParliamentHouse of Parliament
House of Parliament

another angle
Our room at the Tulip Hotel in BudapestOur room at the Tulip Hotel in Budapest
Our room at the Tulip Hotel in Budapest

The beds tipped when you sat at the bottom!


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb