Buda + Pest = BUDAPEST!!


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
May 30th 2007
Published: May 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Castle HillCastle HillCastle Hill

Looking out on the Chain Bridge
Had 3 days to do Budapest so i figured 1 day Buda, 1 day Pest an 1 day Bath time! Monday trekked over to Castle Hill and walked up from the metro. The view from the castle wall gave a good view over pest, really flat on that side of the river. This city is really sprawled out compared to other cities. More tile roof on Mattius Church an then down the hill to have a look at the castle. Didnt think it was as impressive as those in Czech or Romania. The citadel was on the opposite hill so it was another trek to get up that. What is it with European cities with castles an monuments on hills (an then charging when you get right to the top). Another afternoon storm because of the muggy-ness.

Tuesday was Pest day an had a bit of a bad day on public Transport. Went up to City Park an walked around Heroes Square which had lots of cool little statues. Walked down Andressi Avenue (Heritage listed so lots of old mansions plus the opera house) I then thought i might go to a thing called Statue Park, where all the Soviet Statues in the city were taken after the revolution in 89. I didnt really know where it was as the map didnt go that far that i had, but had instructions, so was going the right way anyway. Got off the bus about 6 stops to late, Hungarian driver started obviosly telling me i off in Hungarian, even though i gestured when i got on if he could tell me which stop. Looked like the middle of nowhere so went up to this side of the road market thing an signlanguaged with the lady on which way Statue Park was (amazing how many times ive sign languaged on this trip!) anyway got back on another bus with a friendlier bus driver an got to the park. Lots of statues bleak park, getting there was better than seeing it!

Wednesday went to the Szechenyi Baths, took minimal possessions as possible so no camera. Lots of 70+ Hungarians that dont know slip, slop, slap! The water was about 30 degrees, 3 big open aired pools with bubbles an spouts to ail the old muscles (worked a treat). Really hot day to so wasnt quite as refreshing. Funny watching the regulars
Statue ParkStatue ParkStatue Park

pretty good point an dash effort i thought!!
in there. A few were playing chess for a good 3 hours, ladies playing cards, a lot of people sunbathing. Got back to the hostel to do laundry but the dryer wouldnt work, mmmmm wet clothes an leaving in the morning!! Met the people on Eastern Trekker trip, plus an icelandic couple. You learn so much more listening to people from the country, had a great talk!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb