River cruise in Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
September 6th 2023
Published: September 7th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Today was a bit more low key, as poor Elly has blisters from all our walking yesterday.
We did some laundry in the morning, then headed out later morning for our caffeine fix (diet coke for me, coffee for Elly). After that, we walked down by the river to see the Shoes by the Danube monument. It's a bunch of metal shoes along the rivers edge, as a reminder of an atrocity during WWII, when thousands of Hungarian Jews were forced to take off their shoes there (so that they could be collected and sold) before they were all shot to death, with their bodies falling in the Danube. Such an awful part of history.
We went on a river cruise early afternoon. It was lovely. They had audiophones with a commentary explaining the various sites we saw, and included a drink to enjoy along the way.
After, we returned to the apartment for some lunch and to get organized for tomorrow's early morning departure. A taxi will pick us up at 3:30am, so we want to have everything ready today.
Early evening, we went back into town for a glass of wine at a ruin bar, which had a lovely patio, then wandered around a bit before coming home to an early bedtime.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb