On the road to Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
May 29th 2022
Published: May 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Poppies Poppies Poppies

With lake Balaton in background
We drove to the shores of the largest lake in Europe, lake Balaton. It is 75 kilometres long and around 12 Kim’s wide. As we approachEd the popular holiday beaches, struck me that it was like Tuscany, from photos I have seen. We stopped to join a dozen people snap selfies in a field of poppies, with the lake in the background.

The beaches of Balaton are the most visited tourist area in Hungary. I can see why. Wine country on surrounding slopes, sailboats one the lake, warm beaches, and an endless selection of cafes, wine bars ands children’s parks, this place has something good for everyone.
Tihany, a beautiful historic village on a hill overlooking the lake might very well be the spiritual heart of Hungary. The tourist presentations are in English, too. I think they are gearing up for international visitors who will love everything about this village. The thatched roofing reminded me of historic homes in England.

Lavender is grown here and put into soap, tea, etc.

Before leaving we tried fish soup, fresh from the lake. Very good, especially with a glass of local wine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The most delicious croissant I have ever had The most delicious croissant I have ever had
The most delicious croissant I have ever had

It was stuffed with an almond sauce that went perfectly with this pretty cappuccino.
Not too sweet Not too sweet
Not too sweet

A Hungarian treat
Swan with tagSwan with tag
Swan with tag

Must be to keep track of him
Shoreline Shoreline
Shoreline

Lovely beaches, cafes, wine bars. This area is famous for the grapes grown here and the fine wines it produces.
Lake waterLake water
Lake water

There are several ferries that take people and cars across.
Very fine wine Very fine wine
Very fine wine

So many cafes with shops and rides for children
Earlier this morning we stopped so I could get this photo Earlier this morning we stopped so I could get this photo
Earlier this morning we stopped so I could get this photo

One of many castles that survived over 1000 years of turbulent wars. This one had assault tower. Apparently,every summer there are medieval/castle games.
Amazing roses grow hereAmazing roses grow here
Amazing roses grow here

Every colour and style, they must have a mild winter
TihanyTihany
Tihany

One of the most famous and picturesque villages in Hungary with a working Benedictine Monastery
Village on a hill Village on a hill
Village on a hill

And became a successful fortress town several times through history, but now it is more famous as sacred space.
Church Church
Church

You can buy a ticket to see an informative video about the historic and spiritual significance of this site, tour the church and basement with many artefacts. I could watch video in English.
King Andrew King Andrew
King Andrew

Established the Abby here to pray for his soul. Six years later he died when his younger brother took over the kingdom.
Fish soup Fish soup
Fish soup

Before leaving we tried the local fish soup and more local wine.
SumegSumeg
Sumeg

A castle on a hill (Erika took the following photos). Thanks!


Tot: 0.623s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.3471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb