Day 156 to 159 Hungary .....Budapest and thermal spas


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Pest
October 9th 2011
Published: October 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 156 to 159 Hungary .....Budapest and thermal spas

Our journey through Romania took us through many small towns all looking quite similar, bungalow type houses lining the roadside. The countryside was mainly arable land and rolling hills, lots of horse drawn carts, and people working in the fields. Our last campsite in Romania was run by a Dutch guy, he had opened a children’s home there 12 years ago and was in the process of handing it over to local people, the majority of the children having been fostered. Right up my street! Unfortunately the guy was a busy man and did not have time to chat, as I’d loved to have found out more about his charity and their work.

We headed on to Budapest, we found Hungary instantly had a different feel, much more affluent, but also the people were very friendly and helpful. The campsite we chose was right up Kim’s street as it was set in the yard of an old tram station, the station house being a restaurant. The lady owner was incredibly helpful, with maps, info. and even bus tickets to get us into Budapest. She also served free breakfast pancakes!! (which
Szechenyi BathsSzechenyi BathsSzechenyi Baths

The water was warm but he outside temp was freezing!
also endeared Kim to the site!).

It was also good to meet up with some fellow English speakers, first a couple from Devon (Nick & Jackie) undertaking a whirlwind European tour, with whom we ate Goulash & drank too much beer!, and a young Australian couple (Alex & Marisa) who had been to see the northern lights which impressed me, and were continuing south to Italy.

Budapest was great, it has a real vibrant feel about it. The weather was not kind though so we dived into one of the many thermal baths of the city. A beautiful building, housing around 15 pools, saunas and steam rooms.... fabulous! We spent 4 hours in there and haven’t been so clean on the whole trip!! Later we had fun getting lost on the tram system of Budapest, but managed to get up to the old citadel for some fabulous views of the city by night.

A tour of the area north of Budapest around the Danube completed our time in Hungary, the weather was dismal but we warmed ourselves with yet more goulash soup!



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

A Beer BikeA Beer Bike
A Beer Bike

This looks great fun everybody pedals and drinks beer!


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb