InterRail Global Pass


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Buda
July 21st 2008
Published: July 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at Julia's relatives via bratislava contains a old town centre picturesque cafes, and a castle...done in a few hours.... Cheap icecream tho.

We were met by Julia at the station, a delightfuly vintage moment. We stayed with her uncle and Cousins who had an amazing apartment near the river on the buda side, apartment has very high ceilings, and although empty at the moment at one point had parents with 6 children living... clever usage of space includes extra floor inserted, larger items including bikes suspended above corridors on pulley systems.

We ate with her equaly amazing grandparents and enjoyed the fist square meal for ages. Vegetable were a special relief. Night time views of the city at the fishermans bastion over the danube. then back for a film and sleep.

Next day we wondered round the Pest, Coffee are Geraurd, main shopping district, a few trips on the metro and walked the entirety of the island on the river... which took longer than expected with co-ordinated multijet fountain and opera aria played on loud speakers..v.strange.....it rained..oops.


Next day we wondered round Buda and went to a thermal baths in the city park. including a 55 degree steam room.Ended the day with a family meal at a restaraunt where Meredith ordered Goose Liver and Salamander and Clive ejoyed a very pleasent Ironed Chicken.

The next day was a lot of lazing around and finaly a train jurney down to the Lake on arrival priority was to swim in the lake despite it being cloudy and cold.. got strange looks diving in for passers by dressed in warm winter clothes... had shisa ... hoped for better weather tommorow...

better weather arrived... concluded that the clouds from england hadn't caught up with us yet... started the day buying excessive quantities of watermelon... also the end of the day consuming excessive quantities with not much but lounging around on a pedlow and drinking cocktails inbetween...pah a hard life.
stopping only for a quick beer and hungarian snacks of doughnut like bread with cheese and sour cream...wish you were here, i bet you do.

nearly missed train...big ooops, supposed to wake at 6.30 actually woke at 7.15 for 7.45 train... nothing like a 5km double time march with 20kg bergens to kick start the day...julia rode down on bike to see us off, what a saint.

Advertisement



21st July 2008

Robert is 18 today.
Robert HAPPY 18th BIRTHDAY. With good wishes from all who love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
25th July 2008

BORT
OK BI BI BI

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb