Georgia - A travel day London to Athens, Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
December 8th 2016
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.9693, 23.7268

Day 11. A travel day
London to Athens, Greece

We got up and packed up the apartment. We also had a lovely breakfast picked up from Sainsbury's yesterday. We then took our bags and walked to the tube station. Here we faced a minor drama, when we realized that the train station was closed for departures until 10 a.m. fortunately it was 5 to 10 so we just waited for it to open. Once we got on the train it was really a relatively easy ride to Victoria Station, where we returned our oyster cards and took the train to Gatwick Airport.

Gatwick was a bit exciting as it seems to be an airport run by people who've never visited an airport before, the security checks were like nothing we'd seen before and incredibly badly run. Eventually got through all this and went to the airport lounge. We then had a relatively easy flights into Athens, with beautiful views as we flew over Slovenia and the Alps.

We then arrived in Greece, went through customs extremely quickly as the only Non-Europeans in the airport and went outside to find that the Metro, our planned form of transport, was on strike. Welcome to Greece!

We arrived at our lovely hotel and went out to find dinner. We were only at the second restaurant when the owner came out to invite us into his family restaurant. The food was delicious, and we tried some traditional Greek dishes. The octopus was actually surprisingly good and all the other dishes were lovely! We were a bit surprised however when our side of "potatoes" were chips!

As we left the restaurant we were faced with an almost fight, as all the other restaurant owners raced out to tell us how their restaurant was better and the man from the restaurant we'd been to told us that they "aren't real Greeks" and are "wolves"! Not sure how we test if our waiters are "real Greeks"!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1124s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb