“Today we Eat, Tomorrow we buy bigger pants.”


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
September 9th 2012
Published: September 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After having our much needed sleep, we woke up early for the first part of our adventure. Our alarm clock went off at 5am, as our transfer was to pick us up at 5:45am. We quickly packed up, had a Greek- American Style Buffet Breakfast, before heading to the port. It was here we met up with our BusAbout Tour Guide Mickey and jumped on the ferry towards Mykonos. While on the 4.5 hour ferry ride to Mykonos, we met some fellow travellers who were in our BusAbout group.



Once we arrived into Mykonos, we were met by the chaos that was the port. There were people and suitcases everywhere. We soon found the sign we were looking for – “Mamas Pension’ and were transferred to our accommodation. Mamas Pension was a family run villa, run by Mama and her daughter in law. It is a very cute looking villa on the North part of Mykonos, away from the hustle and bustle of the major town. We only had to take a step out of our front door to take in the beautiful view overlooking the ocean.



Once we settled into our room, we had a ‘siesta’ (A siesta in Greece is observed from around 2:30pm-5:30pm) before heading into town to meet our fellow travellers for some dinner and drinks. Mykonos is well known to be one of the ‘party islands’, as it has a very big nightlife. We began our night at a traditional Greek restaurant ’Oasis’, before heading to a cocktail bar ‘Rhapsody’ and finally a couple of nightclubs.



The next day we woke up, with slightly sore heads and decided to explore the main town of Mykonos. The streets of Mykonos are surrounded by white coloured buildings and alley ways, with cobblestone paths. Wandering around the streets, it is a sea of white mixed in with other bright colours- red, blue, and green. It is beautiful. We had a lot of fun exploring these paths, and often got ourselves lost in them. Often when we were walking down one of the streets, a car would appear from behind us. We would then move out of the way, and watch as they somehow fitted through the narrow streets. It seemed the locals would just casually move out the way, wait for the car to come through and then casually continue down the street (We were just left dumb founded). Wandering through the streets of Mykonos, we were often tempted by the local delights. The Greeks have amazing tasting frozen yoghurt, and honey which taste totally different to what we get back in Australia. In our wandering of the streets we also came across a section of Mykonos known as ‘Little Venice’. This is because the shops and bars in this bay are right next to the water, just like Venice.



After a fun day of wandering around the streets of Mykonos, taking heaps of touristy photos and eating food we decided to go out to dinner. We got a small group of us together had dinner in a place right next to the water called Barbulas Taverna. It was a lovely dinner, which was accompanied by a lovely sunset. I ate a chicken souvlaki and Brendan had stuffed calamari. Once we had finished dinner, we went to a bakery with a friend from our group, Alex to get some locally made honey fritters. While we were eating these honey fritters with our friend Alex, we all realised all we'd done on Mykonos was eat, sleep and partied. We then waddled back to our room, before having an early-ish night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb