Crete, Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
August 15th 2012
Published: September 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Crete is the largest and most populous of the Greek Islands and the fifth-largest island in the Mediterranean. Crete was the centre of the Minoan civilization (c. 2700–1420 BC), the earliest civilzation in Europe, comprising the first palaces in Europe.

Over 2 million tourists visit create annually. Famous people who came from Crete are El Greco & Nana Mouskouri.

That being said, I would have to say that of all the places we visited, Crete was my least favourite. It's not a bad place, but one the stops needed to be the least favourite and Crete gets that title.

We got off the ship and walked the city. The tours we could sign up for were few and what was offered wasn't appealing. I think we were starting to run of steam by the time we got there, and we wanted to save up our energy for Kusadasi and Ephasus the next day.

We agreed to walk the city to see what was available to us. We found the inner harbour and climbed the steps to get a better view of the tourist area. From there we walked the streets and found the marina which led us
Out Here All By OurselvesOut Here All By OurselvesOut Here All By Ourselves

Not really. This was the shot from the other side of the ship while we were in port.
to a gorgeous walkway along the water.

Once we finished the walk, we decided to do some shopping. I bought a few things to bring back to Tanzania as my clothes are getting repetitive and they are starting to show the wear and tear.

After that we headed to the cruise ship for a late lunch and some R&R in the sun.

Not an exciting blog or city, but our next stop will make up for that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

EuropeEurope
Europe

Europe was s the daughter of King Agnoris and mother of King Minos, the creator of the Minoan civilization.... I don't know anything about the animal she is sitting on.
City Street In CreteCity Street In Crete
City Street In Crete

Away from the tourist area.
Laurie & I In CreteLaurie & I In Crete
Laurie & I In Crete

Note how my hands look like it is a portrait from the Sear's Photo Studio
The Public Beach In CreteThe Public Beach In Crete
The Public Beach In Crete

This is a very small stretch of sand near the cruise ship.
Waterfront & WalkwayWaterfront & Walkway
Waterfront & Walkway

Here the locals swim, snorkel and scuba.


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb