Greece - Athens, Delphi (not Delhi!) and Syros


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
July 17th 2011
Published: July 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Greek Wanderings


If you are a regular follower of my blog here, please note that I've done three new postings, not just this one. So you can slide back to my time in Vietnam and on Cyprus as well, if the fancy strikes you!

OK, into Greece!

Once every three years the Eastern and the Catholic celebrations of Easter line up to be on the same day. 2011 was one of those years. And so it seemed perfect to head to Greece for the festivities.

And the Athens and the Parthenon and some hiking and some time on one of the Greek islands and a visit to the famed oracle of Delphi and . . . . .

And while it was superb to have time at the Oracle of Delphi myself, seeking the answers to all of life's mysteries, by far, the most amazing experience was staying at a little family run pension on the island of Syros. Heading out to the evening services leading up to Easter there. And then being invited to spend the Easter day celebrations with the family that ran the pension. Feasting on grilled lamb and washing it down with the local home made wine, retsina! As the conversations ebbed and surged, the music played and a dance or two was danced. Ah!


Additional photos below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb