Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
June 10th 2010
Published: June 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

8 Jun 10

Km so far:12.5.

Went down to Plaka, the bohemian area next to the Acropolis and enjoyed some Athenian cafe culture before tackling the Acropolis. Lots of people around including a few coach parties, but we had left it until mid-day and the best advice seems to be to go first thing before the sun and the crowds become oppressive.

It's a steep climb up the hill but well worth it. Although there is now virtually no scaffolding around the Parthenon there are still cranes and construction plant around and it looks like it will be something of building site for a while yet, but a good and careful job being done.

Visited the new Acropolis Museum - a must see.

The afternoon was spent exploring the area of Athens in the triangle defined by three squares: Omonia in the north, Monastraki in the south-west and Syntegma in the south-east. Fantastic shopping and feels very affluent.

Found ourselves in a very nice taverna in Plaka for supper, with 3 blokes playing guitars and Balalaikas, beautifully warm in the open air, good food, but rather miserable service.

Intention to visit Delphi and Meteora the following day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb