Socrates, I can hear you.


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
August 19th 2009
Published: September 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Athens, Greece August 19-21

Athens blew away all expectations and myths, well except the Greek myths. I had heard Athens was very smoggy and, in places, dangerous. Since Zara and I have been to Beijing we were expecting the worst in regards to the smog. However, when we arrived we really didn't notice it. We were careful in Athens, but never felt in danger.

The main reason any tourist visits Athens is for the sites and they do impress. With the purchase of the Acropolis ticket you gain admission to six other sites in town. Most of the ancient ruins are within walking distance, so it's not necessary to frequent the metro. Our first stop was the Acropolis which can be viewed from many parts of the city. Most recognizable is the Parthenon, which is elegantly perched high above Athens and is beautifully illuminated at night. We visited the sight in the early morning, but were unable to shake the throngs of tourists. Oddly absent was the Temple of Nike, which has been taken apart and removed for restoration purposes. Also it seems like it's impossible to visit ancient ruins without on of them being encased in scaffolding, such as the Parthenon. It's still beautiful but almost more impressive from afar.

After the Acropolis we visited the Acropolis museum. This newly opened museum houses most of the artwork from the ancient site. I have never been more inspired and impressed with a museum, or building, in my life. Before you even enter you are greeted by transparent floors that look onto ancient Athenian houses. The building is glass, concrete and steel. Concrete absorbs light and was preferred because marble reflects light. This allows the artifacts to take center stage. On the top floor visitors are given an unrivaled view of the Parthenon. This room also houses the friezes from the building. The building and artifacts are situated so you can look at the Parthenon then it's pieces and know where they belong.

After two full days exploring Athens and imaging Socrates speaking in the Ancient Agora we were off to Mykonos, which was quite a surprise.

Jonathan's account


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



25th September 2009

Happy Birthday ...
... belated ZARA ... wonderful wishes and the best experiences ever for your life and whatever may come and join your heart... love and hugs for you. we know now... charlotte will get a brother. everything's fine so far and we would love to know what you think of egypt? have you met some pharaos ? i used to like luxor a lot, i remember. and so hot. greetings from us, bella

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0948s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb