Greek Islands from Mykonos to Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
September 26th 2008
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Mykonon Hydrofoil 9 secs
Our much anticipated hydrofoil boat trip from Mykonos to Santorini proved to be very smooth, fast, and enjoyable. Those powerful vessels are a marvel to me, carrying several hundred passengers with luggage in relative comfort, especially if you have reserved seats. Unfortunately, there is no exploring on the deck of the fast boat so one misses most of the beauty of the island stops along the way. On arrival, Santorini was one of the most beautiful spectacles of nature we would observe.

The port is on the inside of the Caldera (shoulder or rim of an old volcano). From sea-level you see tour buses winding their way up a rather recently engineered swithback trail to the summit of cliffs far overhead. Once up on those rockey perches, one looks down on the most beautiful deep blue Mediterranean sea.

To define Caldera I source the free Farlex Encyclopedia online I quote: The caldera: in geology, a very large basin-shaped crater. Calderas are found at the tops of volcanoes, where the original peak has collapsed into an empty chamber beneath. The basin, many times larger than the original volcanic vent, may be flooded, producing a crater lake, or the flat floor may contain a number of small volcanic cones, produced by volcanic activity after the collapse. In the case of the Island Santorini, the volcano has partially collapsed inwards. The sea has flooded the deep undersea portion of the crater. A few islands exist because of volcanic cones just mentioned. So, looking down at that glimmering sea the ever-present cruise ships sit in their whiteness like toy boats far below. And of course, the villages on top of this volcanic-rim island are spectacular.

I will show only a few of the photographs and sights we experienced.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cruise ship belowCruise ship below
Cruise ship below

Note the blue of the Mediterranean.
Cruise ship with delivery boats. Cruise ship with delivery boats.
Cruise ship with delivery boats.

We 'true' island-hoppers did not like the invasions of cruise ship guests. If we become cruisers we will have different tolerances!!
Our mixed fish platter.Our mixed fish platter.
Our mixed fish platter.

It was tasty but could have fed at least 6 people. Rose and I didn't know what we were ordering!!
The Thera MuseumThe Thera Museum
The Thera Museum

The Thera Museum


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb