Ancient Corinth & Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » West Greece
June 24th 2013
Published: June 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

On the road again....now it was my turn to hunt for lost luggage. 1,500 passengers luggage was deposited at the port. We quickly found 3 of our suitcases, but mine wanted to be with passengers on another floor! After a few anxious moments, we boarded a bus for Ancient Corinth. Aaron can relax because the bus driver gets to maneuver through the narrow streets (plus he KNOWS where he is going!). On the way we see the Bema of St. Paul on the beach. All this time I thought that a Bema was a church - no...it is the landing spot. So somewhere on this beach Paul landed as he entered Corinth. Paul spent 18 months with the tent makers Aquila & Priscilla. Check out Acts 18:1-18. He also wrote at least 2 letters to the Christians here (1 & 2 Corinthians). We stopped to take pictures at the Canal & then entered the ancient city. Although it was HOT, we enjoyed our private tour of the site. As I walked though the Agora (shopping area) I wondered which stall Aquila & Priscilla sold their wares. We stood on the Lechion Way & marveled at the site. The temple columns here are made from a single marble stone! (Even the Acropolis & the Partheon use drums - not a single stone.) In order to create these beauties, the carvers buried the marble in a a huge hill. They carved the top..removed some dirt...carved some more...until the column was complete. Amazing! We returned to our hotel for some much needed R&R. Beth & I climbed in the roof top terrace hot tub with a sectacular view of the Acropolis. What a way to relax! That evening we played cards on the terrace with the Acropolis lit up in the distance. It was fantastic!

Joyce




Advertisement



Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb