A Ferry ride with Dwarves and Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
April 13th 2007
Published: April 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our limoOur limoOur limo

Lets go to Greece
Vale, let’s make our way to Greece, only a 16 hour ferry ride stands between us. Step one: Remove the bags from our backs
Step two: Scout the boat for somewhere to sleep
Step three: Buy liquor
Step four: Get a little tipsy
Luckily our ferry was still in off season, so we were able to put our bags down and grab a reclining seat that we did not pay for to sleep in. Onto step three…
“Can we eat dinner first?”
“Claro”
Spinach, rice, and turkey contraption welcomed me to Greece. It was amazing even though I had to eat it slow because I was feeling a little sea sick. No pasa nada, Estuve Bien. After the meal, the on board casino wanted about five euros from me, so I gladly gave it to them. Obviously it was time for a nap, then time to drink some quality White Label Dwarves whiskey. It was Jose, Chris, and I making rum and cokes most of the night and morning. We stopped in the “club” on the boat for a dance or two; some crazy Russian girl was dancing all crazy on me. I had no idea how to dance back.
Greece from the ferryGreece from the ferryGreece from the ferry

The view we had nearly the entire way to Greece
Therefore I drank a couple more overpriced beers and took a, what seemed to be hour nap. However that nap was really closer to six hours, luckily we were able to sleep on a train or two later on.
*Note to self and all other Americans the ketchup in Europe is different in every country and Greece has the worse I have had so far.

Arriving in the Patras Port, for some reason I was unable to read the signs. It seemed to be a sorority/fraternity letter celebration on the signs. We got over that quickly and headed towards the train station, to buy tickets for Corinth. We had about an hour to wait, so we grabbed a bite to eat at this dinner across from the train station. This was our introduction to Greek food and it was a good one. Greek food is probably the best food I have ever had. Two reasons arrived me at this conclusion; 1. Deliciousness 2. Portions. Unlike all other European countries that I have been too, Greek restaurants actually fill your plate with food (America sized portions).

After that delicious meal, we jumped our train and headed towards Corinth. What
Enjoying the ferry rideEnjoying the ferry rideEnjoying the ferry ride

The crisp sea air blowing through my hair.
should have been a train of rest and relaxation, turned into a bumpy ride with a heated game of 500 rummy. Arriving in Corinth was simple, chose stop A, B, or C… luckily we got off at A and that’s where we needed to go. We quickly hoped a bus for the ruins. After seeing Roman ruins, these were nothing. Although we did run into an American priest who told us about some of the sites. The main one being where Paul formally preached to the Corinthians, making the Bible passage make more sense to me. We quickly became victims of boredom and left, missing out on the castle that stood atop the neighboring mountain. Once back in the city we stopped at the grocery store to grab some snacks for the road and grabbed a bus for Athens. I admit our stays in other Greek cities were minimal, but Athens and the Greek Islands is Greece.

We arrived in Athens around 7 PM with the “dirty” impression of the city. We immediately took the metro closer to our hostel, our opinion beginning to change already. Athens Backpackers was probably the easiest place to find ever, my past experiences
Temple of ApolloTemple of ApolloTemple of Apollo

In Corinthe, the only interesting ruin.
have taught me that finding your hostel can be slightly difficult. This place, “get off metro, turn left”, and there you are. We walked in needing a good night sleep, but see people basically partying. There were about ten people sitting outside, about ten more directly inside, and about twenty or so in the hostels bar. Jose and I looked at each other, slapped a high five, and grabbed ourselves a beer before checking in. We got our room showered up and made plans for Mykonos tomorrow. Naturally, I mean we had a few more beers chilling in the bar socializing and eventually coming to the plan of leaving early to grab a ferry to an island.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

PaulPaul
Paul

Not Pual, but where the dog lies is basically where Paul gave his speaches to the Corintheans
Donde esta tu cabezaDonde esta tu cabeza
Donde esta tu cabeza

Corinthe ruins


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb