OUr two days experience at Kalymnos island, Dodecanese complex, Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean
May 10th 2014
Published: May 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Kalymnos island

Dodecanese complex, Greece

Pothia, Kalymnos

It’s the capital and main port of the island that you should definitely visit! It is built amphitheatrically on the slopes and the valley between two rocky hills of the island looking down to the Aegean Sea ! Typical feature of the architecture of Pothia is the colorful shutters of the houses , an image that immediately attracts the eye of the visitor . Walking among the narrow streets admire the quite scenic spots while in the harbor you can enjoy your coffee or meal ! St. Sava church on the left side and the church of the Resurrection on the right side are places you must not miss to visit. The buildings of City Hall and Eparcheion that exist in Pothia since the period of Italian occupation are also worth a visit. Another major attraction is the Castle of Chrisocherias , built in 13th century by the Knights of Rhodes. Finally, walk next to the harbor late in the afternoon to enjoy the colorful sunset as the night comes ….



Telendos island

It is a small island – a total of 4 km length- belonging to the Dodecanese islands’ complex located very close to Kalymnos island. The place was well known since the Homeric times. The view is breathtaking, as the rock of Telendos rises through the Aegean Sea, painting the landscape in a unique way. The island is part of the European network «NATURA 2000″ as well as a «significant area» for the Birds of Greece. The settlement of Telendos is also classified as preserved. One of the best beaches to swim is the one called »Pnigmenos.»



Sponge Collectors of Kalymnos

They are the best divers in the entire world.. the divers of Kalymnos with the ocean floor considered home! They dive in the dark depths of Aegean to collect live sponges. In the past.. they would dive without any suit or air support.. risking their lives day in and day out! Their endless love of the sea floor drives them to dive continuously not just for sponges but other sea treasures too like various shells. A few decades back.. their lives were short and anything but easy! Many perished in their attempt to survive and feed their families. But they created a legend, which follows the divers of Kalymnos island up to this very day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb