The 18 hour challenge!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean
July 30th 2011
Published: July 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Where to start?

We are currently sitting in Athens Airport waiting for our flight to Rome.
Total wait time: 18 hours
Time to go: 10 hours
Number of fingernails bitten off out of pure boredom: 10
Amount of loud talking Greeks im about to bash: ALL OF THEM!!!

This wait does however give me time to sit down and reminisce about the AMAZING month that we have spent in Rhodes, Greece.

We arrived in Rhodes on 29th June and checked into Telhinis Hotel. It was pretty basic but for $18AUD you can’t really expect much more. Single beds, no shower curtain and out of our month there I had 4 hot showers, the rest were cold. The location – Unbeatable! A 5 minute walk into the heart of ‘Bar’ and ‘Club’ Street.

On our first day we ventured into town to look for some work, most places were already fully staffed as we arrived a little too late into the season. We did come across one club called ‘Tiger Tiger’ that had a sign out the front saying staff wanted. We enquired and got told to come back for an unpaid trial at 10pm. We headed back into town at around 9.30pm and found a little bar across the road called Pasha. This is where we met Megan, a South African Barmaid that would soon become our friend and adopted family while we were in Rhodes.

We had our trial at Tiger Tiger working out the front doing PR…..with about 10 other people!!! Many of whom complained they had not been paid in weeks. Alarm bells went off, we said thank you for your time and promptly left. It was not worth us working 10 hours a night and getting paid 20 euro per night, or even worse not at all!

We spent a lot of time relaxing, reading books and sightseeing. One of the days we hired a car and drove to Lindos Beach, which was without a doubt the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. It had the bluest water and our photos below look like we were swimming in the pool not the ocean!

Every night at Pasha an Aussie guy plays his guitar and sings – and boy can he sing! He was amazing! His name was Andrew and he became a good friend of ours while in Rhodes. I even got serenaded on my birthday – I felt very special Pasha gave us some amazing nights out and some we’d rather forget, queue me spewing Margarita pizza across the hotel room and Mitch having a rather interesting moment on the balcony  Lets just say the free Tequila never stopped flowing.

All in all Rhodes was a lovely place, very overrun by English tourists and very expensive if you don’t go to the right places. I would go back but I certainly wouldn’t spend a month there again. By the time you read this we will already be in Rome (one of the joys of only getting 60 minutes free internet at Athens Airport!) We cannot wait to explore Italy and the rest of Europe. I think being on a tour with other Aussies will be great as well and hopefully cure some of my homesickness. 

Bring on the pasta and Gelato! Our love to everyone at home xxxx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb