Sifnos Island Cyclades Gastronomic Festival


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Sifnos
September 7th 2014
Published: September 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Child ChefsChild ChefsChild Chefs

This is my favourite picture of the children. There was so much joy and laughter as those hands kneaded the dough and formed the delicious Greek pastries.
This festival is all about the people from the Cyclades Islands gathering together to celebrate their traditions and cultures. By September the tourist season is slowing down in the island and this is a time for residents of the islands to come together for a party. As such it is not at all tourist focused. That was attractive to me and it was a fun event. Throughout the evening there were cooking demonstrations, pottery demonstrations, exhibits, and delicious food.



The rhythm was not what I would have expected. The festival started around 6:30 but events began around 8:30pm. Even then it followed a leisurely pace with many speeches, congratulations and quiet moments with the dancing and festivities starting around midnight. In the wee morning hours we strolled back to Bella Vista and finally sat on our balcony listening to the music and sharing thoughts and memories of a very special evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Special Photo with Lovely Young LadySpecial Photo with Lovely Young Lady
Special Photo with Lovely Young Lady

Despite our language barriers we managed to share some special moments as this lovely young lady communicated her love of the traditions of Sifnos Island.
Delicacies and a Large RockDelicacies and a Large Rock
Delicacies and a Large Rock

Nat loved this picture as it shows the integration of geology / tradition into all things Cyclades. The history of the islands is very much integrated into the stories of their mining for gold and silver and on display in marble structures.
Children DancingChildren Dancing
Children Dancing

This photo captured the essence of the Cyclades Gastronomic Festival - so much joy and laughter as people were dancing in the streets.
Posing under the ChapelPosing under the Chapel
Posing under the Chapel

There are some photos that just reflect the fact 'wow, I was there'! Obviously this is one of them.
Sikinos IslandSikinos Island
Sikinos Island

Sikinos Island was very special for us as we met a wonderful resident of Sikinos on our ferry ride to Sifnos. He told us about the history of his family and his love for this tiny island of just 400 residents. It is on our itinerary for ferry hopping adventures.
Santorini Island on DisplaySantorini Island on Display
Santorini Island on Display

This impressive stall captured the wine, food and glorious scenery which makes Santorini famous throughout the world. Yes, it really is as magnificent as postcards suggest.
Clay Cooking DisplayClay Cooking Display
Clay Cooking Display

During our time on Sifnos we have tried several clay pot dishes. It is interesting because each restaurant has an individual interpretation of this cookery style so when you order clay pot the dish is always a surprise.
Traditional DressTraditional Dress
Traditional Dress

It was fun watching the handmaidens provide their assistance in putting together this magnificent attire.


13th September 2014

Blog blurb
Hiya Lynne and Nat, glad to hear /see you are enjoying your stay. Loving the blog! Although you can't be in the Greek way of life if you have time to write this....siestas? And more time spent 'gastronomically'! Is this the potential LSL retreat? Fabulous sounding spot. Beaches? Enjoy enjoy enjoy. Xxx

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb