Splendour of the Seas - Greek Isles Cruise 2013 - Day 4


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
October 22nd 2013
Published: October 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Splendour is tracking eastward as we awake. Have skirted around the Peloponnese she is making steady progress toward Santorini where we are due to arrive at around midday. We have a leisurely breakfast and spend a hour or so on our balcony watching the calm waters of the Mediterranean slip by. We head down to the theatre just before 12 to join our tour group. We have to tender ashore as there is no dock big enough in Santorini for Splendour. MV Europa 2 and Pulmantur Zenith (the old Celebrity Zenith) are already moored up. Roman Abramovitch's, the Russian Billionaires, private yacht Eclipse is also there. Until recently it was the biggest private yacht in the world and is bigger than some ferries I have been on. How the other half live.



Our tender heads to the northern tip of Santorini. We find this odd as we know we are headed to Oia (pronounced eeya) which is situated on the southern tip. We find that there is nowhere for the tenders to moor near the south so we have to get on coach to drive the 30 mins or so to Oia. It's a picture postcard town...literally. Most postcards of Greece will feature Oia on them. It perches above the sheer cliff top like a mantle of snow with its pretty white buildings and blue domed churches. Narrow streets are filled with little shops selling all kinds of local crafts and fresh produce, mainly nuts and spices. Vendors are stood outside encouraging you to try some. We walk to the old fortress at the tip of the town. We note some fencing that is covered in small padlocks. Apparently lovers frequent this place and seal their romance by locking the padlock and throwing the key into the sea below. As we have some time we find a pretty taverna with stunning views to enjoy some lunch. Greek salad again for us both.



Back on the coach we head back north to the Santos Winery to enjoy some wine tasting. Never having tasted a decent Greek wine before I was dubious but the dry white I tried was very drinkable. Again the views from the sun terrace were spectacular. After buying a few things from the shop we head to the capital of Santorini, Fira. Similar to Oia (but not quite as pretty) we enjoy a cold beer and a cocktail in a couple of the bars. Some more shopping before heading to the cable car for the steep decent back down to sea level. We tender back to Splendour before heading up to the top deck for sunset. Every other passenger seems to have had the same idea and it hard to take pics without getting in someone's way. Shortly after dark Fira is lit up like fairly lights atop the rim of the caldera and we soon slip away and head away towards Athens.

Dinner is the main dining room is very good and more sedate than our last visit. I have special meatballs to start, then Caesar salad and for main I have Sea Bass and Tiger Prawns. I think Peter had the same. We don't do a lot else that evening as we have a very early start tomorrow and have to set alarm for 6.15am. We order breakfast for the room to save some time. We hope the fine weather we have enjoyed remains with us tomorrow


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb