Sooooo.... How many volcanos have you climbed in the past 2 weeks?


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
June 26th 2006
Published: June 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello to one and all,
We are in BEAUTIFUL Santorini in the Cyclades of Greece. Wow, I can't believe I was actually contimplating not coming here because of the cost of ferries. The experience is well worth it.
So we took an 8 hour ferry from Athens (leaving at 7:30) and arrived in the Santorini port expecting to see our ride... They never showed, so we got scooped up by some other pushy, but friendly man who was amoung the many throngs of hotel reps trying to get us to stay at their hotel. We are staying in Perrisa, a black sandy beach town. So pretty. The water is wonderful and there are many cheap and nice (not crap!) shops.
We have 3 days on the island before we go to Mykonos. Yesterday was day 1, we decided to spend it on the beach, relaxing and swimming and sunbathing. It was so nice, then we showered and went shopping for a few things that we had seen along the way and had a wonderful (yummy and cheap) dinner right on the sea wall looking out to the ocean. Afterward we got home to realize just how much sun we got that day.... Lets just say that lobster boy and girl live! Don't worry we have after sun cream and air conditioning. Cooled us down nicely.
Today, we got a tour on sail boat (sadly with no sails) for 20 euros for the whole day. First stop to the volcano that made this island happen. So we went for a little hike (1.5 kms up), but it made us sweat a lot because it was 30 degrees at 10:30am... I assume it got a lot hotter after that. Then we changed into swim suits and went to a hot springs in an inlet, right near a little white church. The water was like a bath, and there was sulfur in the mud below which made for brown water and mud that is very good for your skin. (mud baths for everyone!) After that we went to another little village just off Santorini and had lunch and chilled out for a bit. Now we are in Oia (pronounced 'ee-a') for the beautiful sunset. This is the pretty white housed village, very nice. However we got here at like 5 and sunset is at 8:30, so we are killing sometime as we have walked the town. Oh and to get up from the port we took donkeys! It was crazy, a little scary, but absolutley an experience of a life time! I think we are going to get a bit of dinner after this and then go to get our spot for the sunset.
Tomorrow is VESPA DAY!!!! Seriously for like 10-12 euros we can rent a vespa scooter for 24 hours (crazy cheap) so we are going to explore the rest of the beaches and Fira (the main town) on the island. Then on Wednesday we hop a boat and get to Mykonos for another adventure.
We are having a lot of fun here. Lots of relaxation, lots of chilling. We have a room to ourselves (!!!!) with an ensuite bathroom, kitchenette, and balcony for 30 Euros (15 each) per night (10-20 euro discount because we wouldn't pay 50 euros!). We are right near the pretty shops and about 200 meters from the beach (which Dan emphasizes has black sand). We have a great location, are getting some good sleeps, and are enjoying ourselves and this new place.
I think this is in the top 2 of places we've been so far. It ties for 1st place with Cinque Terre.
love to all,
robyn and dan
xxxx
oooo

Advertisement



11th July 2006

scooter
Hello, I will spend four days in Oia in August, and I would like to rent a scooter. Could you give me the adress where you rented the Vespa, please? Reading your message, It makes me feel like going to Santorini. Thanks Anne Marie
11th July 2006

reply on vespas
We rented our quad in Santorini, and there were vespas too (note if you are on the back of one its crazy scary!!!) from Perrisa beach. There are so many stalls its really easy to get one from anywhere. They cost 10-12 euros a day at most places, but be sure to see what insurance that gives you and if there is free roadside assistance. We got a quad for 20 euros a day, it took 5 more euros to get full insurance and that included the roadside assistance if you run out of gas or have any problems. Definatley worth it. Enjoy Santorini!

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb