Melting in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
June 22nd 2006
Published: June 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

AthensAthensAthens

Ancient Agora... aka funky broken off columns
Hey dudes,
We are in Athens! I think you already know that, yes you do cause I told you all about the ferry ride.... what an experience....
It is so hot here, like 40 degrees everyday. We are pretty stoked to see everything here, but we are very stoked to get to a beach on an island where things are a little bit more barable.
Yesterday was our first full day here. We went on a walking tour that originated out of our hostel. It was very good as it gave us an efficient look at the city, the best shady spots to enjoy the sites from, and a great commentary from an International Relations grad from Brazil! He knew his stuff and was really funny too. Loads of people on the tour, we met 2 fellow Canadians from Edmonton, Danielle and Violetta. We went around and saw the Acropolis and the Parthanon, the Roman Agora, the Ancient Agora, Temple of Olympic Zeus, Olympic Stadium, Changing of the guard and much more. It was really a great overview of the city. After that we had some much needed showers and met the girls, who are in our hostel too, for dinner.
AthensAthensAthens

Ancient Agora...and cool door ways
Its nice to have some female allies because we all went out shopping in the markets and stalls afterwards and Dan helped us find some good things... They are quite impressed with this man of mine and figure I should keep him... I agree.

Today we all (the 4 Canadians) went to Delphi which was a 3 hours bus ride (not so fun). The temple of Apollo is there and museum, plus a really cute village. We were happy to go and check out the place and the ruins, get some pictures, learn some new things.... We were also very happy to find an AWESOME restaurant right by the bus station looking right out into the mountain vallies (Delphi is inland from Athens) where they have real toilets with toilet seats, great big portions for cheap, and bring you water for free that has ice and you don't even have to ask for it. Great service, great views, great food, great time! We like Delphi and will advise everyone to go to this beautiful town and to the restaurant too.
Weird thing about Delphi, or on the way to it you pass by all these ski signs and through
AthensAthensAthens

Roman Agora, different ruins but similar name
what looks like a ski village... But I don't see how they get snow. I'm a little confused... I'm sure Kath will set me straight... or maybe I'll just get so curious that I'll do some research. Its pretty high up... but that is some extreme temperatures if it was 35 to 40 degrees to there today!

Tomorrow is our last day here. We are going to sleep in definatley. Then probably go on a leisurely search for the perfect t-shirt for Dan. We have a few errands to do like put pictures on a CD (make sure that they are safe and sound away from the harsh powers of unpredictable technology) and put some pictures up here on the blog. I think this is a quick internet time for now as its getting late, but tomorrow we will have time and will be on our own to do what we need to do. I don't want to hold up the girls with the pictures, it takes quite a long time.
Saturday we are on a boat to Santorini, we got some rave reviews from our roommates, so we decided to cut Athens short and go to the Island.
AthensAthensAthens

Roman Agora museum... naked man perfume bottle. haha those athenian women had good senses of humour
We have a room right in the main town of Fira and apparently it takes about 10 minutes and 1 euro to get to any of the beaches on the island... nice. Oh and the most beautiful sunsets can be seen from the north end of the island... looking forward to that.
On Wednesday we are going to head to Mykonos and then everything is as planned as usual. Speaking of which I have to e-mail the camp ground there (we changed accomidations) to tell them of our change....

Anyways so thats that for now. Hope everyone is happy and healthy, I am happy to report that we are definatley feeling both... even though we are quite sweaty and hot at the same time!
love to all
robyn and dan


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

AthensAthens
Athens

Roman Agora
AthensAthens
Athens

Parthanon under construction
AthensAthens
Athens

Parthanon in front
AthensAthens
Athens

Ancient Theatre
AthensAthens
Athens

Acropolis
AthensAthens
Athens

ruins
AthensAthens
Athens

Ancient Olympic stadium
AthensAthens
Athens

Changing of the guards... yes they have pom pom shoes... but no they aren't very fluffy because there are spikes hidden in them!
AthensAthens
Athens

Dinner at the end of the day with Danielle and Violetta, our Edmonton buds
DelphiDelphi
Delphi

On the bus to Delphi
DelphiDelphi
Delphi

Lunch with an amazing view before we got to the site
DelphiDelphi
Delphi

Column!
DelphiDelphi
Delphi

temple
DelphiDelphi
Delphi

temple of apollo
DelphiDelphi
Delphi

rolling over a bit of column
DelphiDelphi
Delphi

delphi museum... no posing next to statues.. I was walking by and Dan was being sneaky...
bed timebed time
bed time

back in Athens ready and happy for bed!


24th June 2006

yes greece!
sounds awesome! glad you are going to go to santorini-- it is so great, totally reccomend it. was just there a month-yikes has it been that long?-ago again, the sunset at oia is touristy thing to do but fun if only for the experience. get a gyro-best in greece-- there, my mom's and i's favorite one in all of greece at this little place on the corner in the main town of thira by some jewellry stores, a grocery store across the way, and a block from the stair case that comes from the cruise ship/ferry landing- that 600 stair staircase. if you have time go to the island of Amorgos-- little and really greek, just up from santorini- the experience of going to the monastary that climgs to the cliff and the monks invite you in for homemade greek delight and drinks is unforgettable. its harder to get to=less touristy=but 200 percent worth the bother. my favorite greek memory by far. look it up at least! i cannot stress this enough. good luck! have fun! my post is too long!
24th June 2006

Another great update. Have fun on the island. Sounds amazing! To answer your free toilets rant a few blogs earlier- Spain has loads of free toilets. Bus stations, cafes, restaurants, museums, train stations, even some of the beaches.
26th June 2006

snow
yes. they do get snow in the winter. i found it hard to believe too, but we went to a ski resort there in the summer and when my mom wasa there in 66 they have pictures of the acropolis in snow. fira is gorgeous, so was kostas, our hotelier there!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb