Onto Spectacular Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
May 2nd 2009
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mykonos to Santorini


Additional maps: Mykonos to Santorini

Well at least the noisy lot of last night seemed to have moved on and we had a good nights sleep this time around.
We had a booking for the 10 am SuperFast jet ferry to Paros where we would make a connection with the Blue Star Paros convential ferry to Santorini.
The hot water to our room gave up and there was only cold coming through despite what we did.We boiled the jug and did the best we could without a full shower and decided that our fellow passengers for the ferrries would have to put up with us.
We were foiled by the early start as the mini market from where we had purchased bread yesterday was still closed so we ended up with fruit and yogurt to sustain us until we reached Paros where there would be a 70min wait for the connecting ferry.
Eleni had said she would be taking us to the ferry but perhaps the lack of hot water might have embarrased her as we were going to let her know that she hadnt kept to her word about 24 hr hot water.Anyway she sent some other guy to drive us to the ferry and
Fira,SantoriniFira,SantoriniFira,Santorini

The way this town sits on the rim of a caldera is quite simply stunning !!
we didnt get an opportunity to complain.We will have to do this via TripAdvisor.
We sat chatting to some Aussies while we waited for the ferry.There are still plenty of Aussies and Kiwis around left over from the ANZAC celebrations doing the islands as an addon to the main event.
The SuperFast ferry was easy to get onto with our luggage in tow much to Gretchens pleasure after the experience of the other day.The ferry was smaller and actually more comfortable.It seemed to skim over the sea at the same speed as the previous fast ferry and in 50 mins we were back in Paros.
I posted some mail and hunted out the shop we purchased the delicious cheese and ham pie we had one morning while staying in Paros and we had an early lunch in the shade waiting for the Blue Star Paros to arrive.
Upon its arrival there was the usual comotion of cars,trucks and people and men blowing whistles.Now all this sounds like everything is out of control but in fact its the complete opposite and how they turn these ferries around in 15 mins continues to surprise us.
The ship was fairly full and we had to wander around to find a couple of seats indoors.We dozed as we headed into Naxos an hour into the journey and then it was the tiny island of Ios(also known as the party island).The entry to the port was very spectacular and the ship had to make two very tight turns to back up to the berth.While people got off at both stops just as many seemed to get back on and we wondered whether there would be enough accommodation for us ar Santorini although as we were to find out we really should not have been concerned.There were many Greek people on board who presumably were going to stay with their relatives and the other main groups were Asians who were in tour parties.
Soon the island of Santorini came into sight and we made the entry past towering volcanic cliffs as this island has a volcanic history to it.
The volcano when it erupted left sheer cliff faces with a rim known as the caldera on top of which the population have built their houses and tourist accommodation.There is an island which contains a crater offshore from the main island and in the middle of what would have been a much bigger volcano before it erupted.
Everyone was hanging over the side of the ship taking pictures as the ship made its way down to the port.Soon the announcement came to prepare for berthing so we made our way down to retrieve our suitcases and prepare to disembark along with the hordes of people.
As we exited the ship we were faced with a rock cliff only 50 mtrs from the ship.This towered what seemed to be hundreds of mtrs upwards and from where we stood you could not see the top.Traffic from the ship was chaotic as the space was fairly small but it then formed lines as did the passengers and headed to the post gates.There was the usual clamour and offer of accommodation and Gretchen organised 3 nights at €30 per night at Pension George a 10 min walk from the main square in the main town Fira.The pension is run by George(Greek) and his English wife Helen.Very pleasant couple.Hot water and a room with windows was guaranteed so we joined him and 2 other guests in his van and drove up the winding road to the rim of the caldera where the landscape took on more meaning.Back from the rim of the caldera the land was sort of a palteau with white houses dotted everywhere and then as the land rose up from the plateau the town of Fira and its suburbs(of sorts) took up the hillside.
The hotel/pension was very presentable and has a pool surrounded by well cared for gardens.Our room was spotless and the largest we have had on this trip.
We headed off to explore the town and get our bearings.The views from the rim of the caldera were truly spectacular and we were left trying to think of an equal that we have ever seen in all our travels.It certainly rivals the Grand Canyon and the Rockies of the USA.And on the way home stopped in at a supermarket to get our breakfast supplies,beer etc.The etc on this occasion included a 200ml bottle of ouzo costing the grand sum of €1.40.We have acquired the taste for the drink so thought we might continue to develop that taste a bit more.
We stopped in at a local restaurant on the way home near to the pension and took on the grilled mixed fish meal for two with Greek salad and 500ml of wine all for€23 which we thought was a good bargain.What was served was a swordfish fillet big enough to serve us both but then also 4 smaller whole fish which just tasted so fresh.
The internet is available to us here and we made good use to catch up on this blog and clear emails.We now plan to add photos to previous blog entries which had not been possible over recent days as the blogs have been written and pasted onto the web site.So if you want to relate a picture to the words I plan to have that done in the next 24 hrs.


Advertisement



3rd May 2009

Yay! Bring on the photos! :-)

Tot: 0.473s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 82; dbt: 0.2585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb