Our Greek Vacation


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
May 27th 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our first real vacation in 3 years, and what a place to spend it in! We headed to Kamari beach on the Greek island of Santorini. There we learned what it was like to be lazy again. We spent the first 3 days laying by the pool or next to the ocean soaking up the sun. We'll take as much sun as we can get considering our skin hasn't seen it in 3 years (and definatley won't for another year--yeah for Englands weather)! One week just wasn't enought, but we did get a good tan started. We stayed at a wonderful hotel called the Bellonias Villas. They also have the best pool on the beach with a spectacular view. It was nice being able to switch back and forth from pool to beach. The beach was a bit different than I had expected. The island boasts about its black "sand" beaches but it wasn't really sandy. Pebbles and stones was more like it. Different, but cool--well not cool, piping hot actually, but neat to look at. On our flight over we met a couple who was staying at the same hotel, and so was their family, for a wedding. We hung out with them many times on the vacation, so you'll see their pictures. They were all great fun. Irish/Austrailians that we can't wait to hang out with again! When we decided to take a break from laying around, we rented a 4 wheeler to see the island. Yes, the island is small enough to see it all with a 4 wheeler! We had a blast--the best day on the island! We started the morning with a ride up to Ancient Thira where we saw one of the oldest churches ever! We also saw some ancient ruins. I tell you what, those people knew where to build a city, they had a great view! Then back down for lunch and to pick up Joe and Angela to head around the island. First to Pyrgos for a spectacular view from the monestary, Profiti Ilias. This is the highest point on the island. The monestary wasn't open so we took a few pictures and made our way toward the ancient city of Akrotiri but it was also closed. We continued on to the Red Beach. Here we found a red rocked beach down on the southwestern tip of the island. We were going to have to scale a rocky cliff so we opted to take pictures and continue our journey. Our next stop was the city of Fira, Santorini's capital. This is one of the cities with cliff side buildings. They are so beautiful! Fira is the port for all the cruise lines so it is a very busy, busy city. We took a break for some shopping and dinner but by the end of dinner the sun was going down we didn't want to ride the quads back in the dark. Not a big island, but the signs are not all in English. The next day was another lazy day at the beach. This brings us to Sunday. Sunday we layed out again but not the whole day. We took off to Oia for shopping and a sunset dinner. Oia is the best place ever to watch the sunset--AMAZING! So amazing that Koi decided to stay up the whole night and watch the sunrise. Also AMAZING! And, yes, I did say Koi. I couldn't hack it so he got me up to watch. If any of you are interested, apparently he has found his calling in grilling corn. You'll have to ask him! Monday we layed out yet again and then watched the sunset, again. However, this time we got to see it from the water. We took a dinner cruise to watch the sunset. So amzing again! We were very sad to have to say goodbye to this wonderful island. We had such a fantastic time. Everyone we met from our hotel staff to all the different people working the restraunts--genuinely nice and happy. I recommend this island to everyone!


Additional photos below
Photos: 97, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Cheryl Jr.Cheryl Jr.
Cheryl Jr.

Toes in the black 'sand' beach
Friends walking up to the topFriends walking up to the top
Friends walking up to the top

We prefer the 4 wheeler:)


4th June 2008

Amazing Photos!
I love the sunset photos and the panoramic view of the crater especially!
12th June 2008

Sweet Pix
Greece rocks, I can't wait to go back and visit this part next time. Thanks for sharing. C3
27th June 2008

No Mention of Ouzo...
Are you going to tell me that no ouzo was drank the whole time you were in Greece?! I hope that is not the case, and you just forgot to mention it in your narrative. Anyways, it looks like a beautiful place to visit. And any place with readily available donkeys can't be all that bad.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb