3rd day Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
June 6th 2007
Published: June 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Woke up around 11am, best night of sleep yet on my trip. We got some food and settled our tickets for bus and ferry to Crete. Jake was staying and travelling to turkey meeting with us later in budapest. We would be picked up by bus at 4pm and the ferry would leave at 5pm. Decided to head back to the black pebble beach for a bit more snorkelling. There was a place further down the beach with a concrete platform and rock cliff along the coastline. We climbed in the water from the platform which was absolutely freezing that day for some odd reason?? The water was a bit cloudy near the platform because there had been fairly large waves the previous night and the crap from the shore had been carried into the water. There were also lots of boulders around the platform and maybe 10m or so from the shore the water cleared quite a bit. A bit from the platform I saw an odd fish type thing under one of the rocks. I actually think it was a small octopuss as it seemed to be attached to a can for a bit then receding under the rock as I was closer. There were tons of fish all along the platform, mostly small but very colorful and sweet looking. We went further along the rock cliff quite a ways away from the shore. The water is unbelievably clear, it seems that there would be no limit to how deep one could see although im told you can see up to 30m. There were'nt many fish along the rock cliff but it looked amazing regardless, it was covered with lots of seeweed and white things. Went back towards the platform and realized something that I didnt notice before. The rocks, especially near the shore were covered with sea urchins. Kinda freaky since they are poisonous to step on and it wasnt especially deep in that area. Managed to scramble back onto the platform without stepping on any although I cut my knee a bit in the process (not bad though). After a bit more swimming we went back and caught our bus to the port. We then found out that it was delayed 3 hours for some unknown reason. We ended up finally boarding at around 8:30pm and realized that it was actually quite rough seas at this point. When first onboard we asked the crew member what the max wave size could be allowing the ferry to travel still. She said that the waves were currently 2.5m-3m and the max size is 4m. The ferry was one of the highspeed varieties so it traveled 35knots which is why it was only able to handle 4m waves. The boat ride was scheduled for two hours but took at least two and a half. By the two mark I would say at least 30% of the boat was puking from sea sickness. People were barfing all over the floor in various places and retching sounds could be heard everywhere. Aaron and I managed the whole trip with no sickness and Josh passed out on the floor after about 30 mins so he was fine as well. We finally arrived in crete around 11:00 or so and set out to find someplace to sleep. Taxi drivers hardly spoke english but luckily we had been giving a lonely planet guide to Crete by some friendly people from Maryland in santorini while waiting for our ferry. The guide had a rough map to a hostel in the city not too far away. We made the trek through the city getting lost and recieving bad directions a few times arriving in the hostel around 12:30. Turns out we made it just in time as the hostel closed at 1:00 am and we would have been left with no place to stay. Place was pretty trashy but ten euros a night isnt so bad so we booked a room and went up to crash. When we entered the room we were greeted by the noises of some old dude sounding like he was having a heart attack. He woke up from his bed in tiny little brief underwear and said hang on for some unknown reason. Then he proceeded to go to the bathroom to take a leek, unfortunately showing everyone his stiffy in the process. There was also another old dude with similar getup in the bed across the room which was a bit odd since the place was called the international youth hostel. The whole situation was pretty hilarious and wierd. We all crashed shortly after.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb