And the heat sets in....


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini » Firostefani
August 22nd 2014
Published: August 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

It's now day 3 in Santorini and the day one versions of ourselves would have been so disappointed in us - we are cowering in our dark, air conditioned apartment trying to escape the heat! Sunny and 31 degrees sounded amazing from London but the heat here is so dry and as the island is volcanic and on cliffs we aren't exactly in and out of the sea.

Still we've been having an amazing time. Yesterday morning we made the most of cool air conditioned travel agents and planned out our trip in Greece and to Croatia. One of the big bugbears is that there is not cheap easy way to get to Croatia so we've resorted to flight via Rome. How bizarre. Anyway after Santorini we've decided to go to 2 other Islands, Naxos and Paros where we can camp on the beach and swim (woohoo) then will spend a few days in Athens. It will be a great way to see Greece.

in the afternoon we caught the bus out to Ia, the picture perfect white village out on the far west peninsula. It is a gorgeous town and an amazing place to watch the sunset (along with approx 5,000 other tourists I might add who all slow clapped and then cheered as the sun went down. Ahhhh Europe, you never cease to amaze! My personal highlight (this is Katie btw) was seeing a very unashamed nude swimmer with his pee-pee floating around like a mini sea snake. Most amusing to say the least!

Today we finally got in the sea woohoo! We did a 3 hour boat trip that took us out to the centre of the caldera and we climbed to the top of the volcanic crater. This is when the heat stroke really set in - 0 shade, heat coming out of the earth beneath our jandled feet and scorching midday sun overhead. Despite wearing sunscreen, hat, glasses, cool (!) white shirt to cover up, I still threw up when we got back to the boat. Shays genes definitely helped him out there. So we've spent the rest of the day relaxing in our room with only short trips out for basic essentials such as frozen Greek yoghurt ( to die for) and water with rehydration sachets. Wait til were in our tent tomorrow night lol!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb