Most Famous Bookstores in the World


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini »  Ia
October 19th 2023
Published: October 19th 2023
Edit Blog Post

I have only been to a few. Here are mine, out of the top 30 listed by "Far and Wide" article. Tattered Cover (Denver) Tattered Cover Book Store is the largest independent bookseller in Colorado, with six locations around the Denver metro area. Joyce Meskis, who owned Tattered Cover from 1974 until her retirement in 2017, was a high-profile activist for literacy and freedom of expression. The stores sell a mix of used and new books, and host over 500 literacy and community events each year in-store. The current owners continue Meskis’ mission to defend free speech and build knowledge and intellectual curiosity through books and reading.
The Last Bookstore (Los Angeles) When owner Josh Spencer opened his now iconic bookstore in downtown Los Angeles in 2005, he was certain it would only last three years and that selling conventional books was a dying industry, hence the store name. Still thriving 17 years later, The Last Bookstore is California’s largest book and record retailer and sprawls across two floors in the historic Spring Arts Tower. In addition to new, used and rare books, the store sells vinyl records, graphic novels and art, and contains a book labyrinth. The Last Bookstore is also featured in a short, award-winning documentary. Great deal on used books!
Harvard Bookstore (Cambridge, MA) Harvard Book Store was founded in 1932 by Mark Kramer and was run by the Kramer family until 2008. What started as a single small shop selling used and bargain books, Harvard Book Store expanded over the years until it covered three storefronts and carries a wide selection of new, used and remaindered books. The bookstore was the first in the city to have a cafe and offer literary events, in partnership with the Boston Public Library. The business runs a law book annex around the corner and offers a print-on-demand service for self-published authors. A bit pricey!
Elliott Bay Book Company (Seattle) The Elliot Bay Book Company is located in the heart of Capitol Hill near downtown Seattle. Founder Walter Carr opened the store in 1973 with a vision of having the widest range of books, subjects and authors that he could get. It was the first in the Seattle area to host in-store readings and literary events. Today, the store holds about 500 author events each year. The company also publishes Booknotes, a quarterly review of new titles.
City Lights Bookstore (San Francisco) My all-time favorite!! City Lights was the first all-paperback bookstore in the country. Poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti opened the store in 1953, and it became a literary landmark for the Beat Generation. Tour buses stopped at City Lights so people could spot “Beatniks.” City Lights continues to feature books with an anti-authoritarian theme on wide-ranging subjects. In 1955, Ferlinghetti established City Lights Publishers, a small press best known for its Pocket Poets Series. City Lights hosts regular literary events in-store and has an educational outreach program that works with local arts and community groups.
Powell's Bookstore (Portland) Founder Michael Powell first opened Powell’s Bookstore in Chicago in 1970 when he was a graduate student at The University of Chicago. When his father, Walter, opened a similar used bookstore in Portland, Michael returned from Chicago to join his father in the business. Michael’s daughter, Emily, now runs Powell’s, making it a third-generation, family-owned company. Powell’s Bookstore has a unique business philosophy: It displays new and used, hardcover and paperback books altogether. Powell’s also holds regular in-store literary events and has three locations across the city. Best feature is new and old are on the same shelf!!!
Atlantis Books (Santorini) In 2002, two college friends, Oliver Wise and Craig Walzer, were vacationing on the Greek island of Santorini. Unable to find a bookstore, the pair decided to open one on the main street of Oia, with views over the Aegean Sea. Atlantis Books sells new, used, first editions and antiquarian books in seven languages for travelers and locals. The store stocks classic fiction and non-fiction, with an emphasis on poetry, philosophy and art. The company hosts outdoor theater productions and movie screenings and has a book donkey, which carries books to local Greek schools. (Why was I in a bookstore on Santorini?)
Pretty said, I have only been to seven out of 30!!!!!
We actually have a cute old bookstore in our town, called the Book Barn. They buy and sell (mostly used) books, which works well for me. I bring a huge grocery bag of books and leave with four or five good books to read. What a deal!
I also love libraries, but I would rather be outside. When I travel, I always carry a guidebook for the country I am visiting, and some lighter reading, like John Grisham. Pick some type of book that will let you escape a long wait at the airport, or a moderately long flight. Many hotels have free book exchange shelves, though I don't have much luck choosing an unknown author. Always recycle your books and make a new friend!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb