On the road to Rhodes


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
July 28th 2012
Published: August 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

There aren't many things that will get either Fiona or Harriet out of bed at 3am. Which is exactly what we had to do today. The flight to Rhodes was at 5.20amand the metro wasn't even running so we had to get a taxi. The taxi driver had obviously never heard of speed limits but we were still half asleep so didn't really care or get too frightened. It was amazing how hot it was at that time in the morning. It never seems to cool down in Greece!

We have come to Rhodes to spend time with Fiona's sister Kirsty and her family. Her boys don't have any cousins except for our children so it will be nice for them to spend a week with Harriet and for her to spend some time with them. She thinks she has only met her uncle three times for 1/2 hour each time on average.We managed to find the way to the house due to the comprehensive instructions- a little bit of overkill since the first 48kms took over a page to let you know to go straight on. Then it was pool, lounging, cards and rest all day. There was a short trip to the supermarket and a walk to the gelato store as well. This one didn't rate too well - only 3.5/10

The gelato store is in the village, Lardos. The village is very quaint with only a few shops, mostly restaurants, but there is a bakery and a couple of small supermarkets- more convenience stores really. The buildings are tightly built so that passing amother car in the street is incredibly hard. The place we are staying is at the back of the village and seems to be a purpose built development of holiday villas. Each has it's own pool and the one we have even has some garden as well as a view of the hills behind.

We were a little shocked at the scenery as we drove to Lardos. We have been so used to lush, tropical jungle that the dry stark hills were a bit of a surprise. The hill behind the villa is more bare than some others as it was burnt in bush fires a couple of years ago and hasn't yet recovered.

As we had started so early in the morning, Kirsty thought it would be a good idea to eat in the village - no driving needed. We went to Roula's where her family are well known as they have been coming to Rhodes for a few years. The boys both got big kisses from the wait staff, which they didnt seem to mind. The restaurant appeared to be filled with UK tourists, but there was room for the 7 of us.

Kirsty and Fiona had a big laugh when Jonathan was telling Fiona a story. She acted as if he was a character in a Catherine Tait sketch and he responded. Unfortunately for him, he didnt realise he was acting just like the character and so it was very funny. It was so funny for Kirsty and Fiona they were both crying.

Jonathan likes things to be organised and so has taken it upon himself to plan the schedule for the week. Kirsty and Fiona will give him some help, but he will decide what we should do. Monday has already been set aside as the day to go to the Waterpark in Falaraki. Apparently it is the least busy day as there are less coach trips on Mondays. Jonathan is so excited about the waterpark that he has insisted we should all be up at 8 in the morning with our stuff in the car ready to go. As he didn't get up until midday today, we are not sure that he will be able to manage it himself. If he does he will earn himself a cool €5.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb