The Tharri Monastery and the Church at Asklipio


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
September 22nd 2010
Published: September 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The Tharri Monastery and the Church at Asklipio


Over breakfast, Monk decided he’d stay another night and fortunately his room was still free.

He set out after midday to drive into the interior of the island to visit some of the small villages en-route to the Tharri Monastery. Driving in the interior of the island is an altogether more pleasnt experience than driving the length of the East Coast Hioghway. Monk passed hardly another car and stopped along the way a number of times to savour the peace and the smells of the countryside.

Monasteries and small churches abound throughout the interior many dating back to the 12th and 13th century. The Tharri monastery is set in a beautiful wooded valley. It is still active and trains monks for other monasteries throughout Greece. The interior of 13th century church is festooned with frescoes which have been recently restored after centuries of decay. For most of the time Monk was in the church and the monaastery grounds, he was alone save for the odd (real) monk or two going about their business. Only as he was leaving did any other tourists arrive.

On Monk’s circular route back to Haraki he stopped off at the beautiful church in the village of Asklipio whose marvellous fresoces are more impressive and in better condition than those at Tharri. A €1 entrance fee also covers entrance to 2 small museums in the grounds. One has an impressive display of old bibles and ecclesiastic garments while the other houses what used to be an old olive mill which still has the presses and motor driven equipment in place together with a collection of old photos and various farming implements.

The drive back down to the coastal highway is impressive despite the amount of forest that has been ravaged by recent fires. It must have been stunning before the conflagration. As well as the usual cast of goats and sheep blocking the road, Monk had to make a sudden stop for a deer as it sauntered across his path, antlers held high. Now Monk is quite used to close encounters with deer during his walks in Richmond Park, however, this one had an air of wild regality as Monk watched it slowly making its way down into the mountain valley.

Monk's Meanders


Irene would walk every day in Richmond Park but used to get very worried when the deer were lurking on her path. She'd ring Monk at work and he'd talk to her until she was past the deer and out of danger- not that Monk could have done much if one of them had decided to approach her. On a couple of occasions, an MMS picture message preceded the call just so that the potential attacker could be identified later in a police line-up.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb