Rhodes


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
July 1st 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wow! Everywhere we go in the Aegean has a different, alluring quality to it. Loved the two cities we were in in Turkey, but Rhodes is one of the neatest places I have ever been. Massive fortress that houses the old town and we are staying at the Mango Rooms right in the middle of it. We have basically just walked around, ate, had a few beers, and enjoyed the great atmosphere.

This is the last day of the trip for Clint and he has had a good time. Seen the most amazing sights in the Aegean. I am off to Athens then Munich tomorrow if I can make my connecting flight--may be tough if I have to recheck--they sometimes do not have big enough planes and make you check bigger carry-ons.

So lets summarize where we have been so far:

Athens: Big, crazy, dirty city--not a fan. Not even sure seeing the Acropolis is worth the long ride in from the airport and dealing with the city. 3 island cruise is always a hit, though, as Poros and Hydra are beautiful--and Aegina is ok.

Mykonos: Never my favorite, but we relaxed, stayed right on the beach and the city is pretty.

Ios: Crazy nightlife, great hotel (Ios Palace), and fun adventures on the scooter--and you get to see Homer's Tomb. Maybe my favorite place--not even sure why. . .

Santorini: Possibly the world's most amazing view! Great hotel. . .gets busier and busier each year. Found a new, even better cliff to jump from.

Kos: Crazy nightlife, younger crowd, beautiful waterfront area, we just didn't get out and see much, but sort of an industrialized island compared to others--at least from the airport drive in.

Bodrum: Gorgeous and cheaper than Greece. Great waterfront and nightlife. Upscale crowd a bit.

Marmaris: From 10pm on the wildest place I have ever seen. Miles of bars and clubs and restaurants, etc. Waterfront has a great boardwalk to run or walk on. Amazing marina full of yachts.

Rhodes: Love it. Expensive. History alone is worth a visit!

OK, hope to make that flight. . .2 weeks from tomorrow and I am supposed to be back in the states, but lots of sightseeing still to do. Alps, here I come!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb