Conquering the Island


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
November 21st 2007
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

As we last left you, we were trying to figure out which of us would drive the island's cliffs while severely impaired. Geri won the reflex contest and I got into the passenger seat with a bump on my head. I don't know why she had to use a brick for the reflex test....anyway, we drove down the Western coast of Rhodes along the ocean on a cliffside drive. We stopped at an ancient ruin city, and unlike anywhere else we have ever seen, were allowed to climb all over it. So we went into a Hellenistic era house, walked down the Hellenistic main street and put our hands all over anything old. We then kept driving to get to a winery that I wanted to tour, but much like everything else here off season, the tours were closed. We did get to look at the big silver wine tanks and buy some wine, but over all, the drive to the winery was just a glorified trip to a wine shop. We continued driving and saw a few castles and more ruins and Geri had to dodge some goats who kept hopping onto the road. All in all a sucessful and non drunken day.

Today we still had the car and I drove into town, which was challenging. I think that the "right of way" in Greece is derived from a game of chicken, where the person who wants to enter your lane just juts his car in your direction and see if you flinch. If you flinch, he goes ahead of you and everyone behind you beeps at your for being a wimp. I fliched the first time, but not again Damn you! I am enjoying chicken driving - it gets your adrenaline going. We bought lots of fine things in the stores in the new town of Rhodes and will most likely be mistaken for movie stars when we return.

Tomorrow we are going on another long drive down the East coast to the town of Lindos. Friday we are going to Turkey to shop for stuffing. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb