Land of Apocalypse


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Patmos
August 3rd 2010
Published: August 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our destination: The Cave of The Apocalypse, and the Monastery of St. John the Theologian (These two places were declaired World Heritage Sites by UNESCO)... so far it's been a very religious day... a few hours sailing from Kusadasi we landed in Patmos....

Although there's something different about Patmos I should say compared to the Greek islands that I've visited... it's a small island... very dry, a sense of quietness and emptyness in this place...

We first visited the Cave of The Apocalypse... here John wrote the book of Revelations and in the Bible, Patmos was mentioned and also it said that God's voice was so loud that it created a crack in side the cave.... I saw the crack and investigated it... I believe it... it didn't look man made to me... it was simple but it was big... unfortunately taking pictures inside the cave is forbidden and there are some Orthodox priests who are restlessly watching everyone as we go inside...

It was definetely a long but scenic walk from the bus into the Monastry of St. John the Theologian... and I must say that after the endless sweat and foot pain it was well worth it.... it was very historical... inside we went into the museum where original artifacts of the Eastern Orthodox church are safely kept but again, no photographs are allowed... The only thing is that it was so dry and very hot and that's never a good combination.... inside the museum was ten times hotter than outside since it was enclosed and only generated by electric fans that does not even give out cold air only made the temperature inside the museum very humid and almost hard to breathe with all the bodies all at once checking out artifacts and listening to our painfully borring tour guide... I think I definetely have ADD and I was just lost in the facts... I was literally falling asleep while walking and listening was not even an option... not to mention every single bit of opportunity we get to go close to the only few windows inside the meseum was like a blessing itself...

As we leave the Monastery... the scenery was just amazing... the Monastery was so high thet it overlooks the port and beaches of Patmos...

We also visited one of the first and oldest church inside the Monastery... It was an Orthodox church... the churches and the island itself is dedicated to St John the Apostle...

was an interesting place to visit and experience but other than the relgious history of this island... I do believe that one visit and experience is enough...


Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb