Naxos,,.


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Naxos
September 9th 2006
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well here we are... made it too some bareable heat, delightful beaches and amazingly tourist orientated island! Our departing athens went according to plan, and here we are on our third day on Naxos!

We caught a ferry from pyraeus in athens - about the size of a nz interislander, give or take - in the blistering heat at 5.30pm (local time) on wednesday 6th sept...

Having arrived about 2 and a half hours early we were sitting in the heat constantly being talked into buying replica binoculars, sunglassers, watches and electronics; from a series of blangledeshi guys (which explained how they could wear big tops, jeans, and hats without melting), when a girl walked past carrying a delicious looking roll, I (ez) say 'mm whats she got i want one', 'oh its a french baguette from over there she replies (a little to my embarrasment - as I was used to closed greeks not paying tourists any attention if they werent trying to sell us something or asking a direct question) - anyway back to the point - thats how we met french adriane, and shortly her friend martin (also french)... we got to know them better on the ferry - after working out that they were going to paros (not paris as we thought they were saying) and the ferry did dock on both islands!

after a 5 hour mildly tortureous ferry ride we made it to naxos (at about 11.30), where us and our french friends (who had slept through the v. loud disembarking in paros) were assaulted by what seemed the whole islands population trying to tempt us to come to their hotel/room/studio/appartment/what ever we could want!! One lady in particular (made distinguishable by the fact she has the most annoying voice in the entire world) centred on us "come to agia anna, you like you like, room for 20 euros" (she also has this tendiancy to repeat everything she says at least 3 times) how ever either the annoying voice, the repetition, the fact we couldnt find the person from the hotel we had tentitivly booked at being absent from the throng (they said they would be there with a sign), but more likely the cheap price of accomidation worked in luring us to her hotel. One semi-freaky ute ride later (with the four of us in the back seat, and our bags in the boot), and we arrived at what we now know to be 'Despina and John) - (Website) a look at the (quite nice) rooms, and a quick hagle down to 30euro (for the 4 of us) per night, and we were tucking ourselves into bed, as the french pair made themselves a meal of eggs, toms, bread, and red onion...

During the last few days we have seen a bit of the island, had some delightful swims, chilled with martin and adriane (who managed to miss the bus, and therefore the ferry they were supposed to catch back to paros last night, and so left this morning)... find some greek people we actually managed to talk to and find to be nice people, eat some very very below average (except in price) greek food, and some quite good thrown together meals, and have definately decided we want to get more than a glimpse of real greece - away from the multiple hotels and eaterys on every street... so the plan is: ferry tommorow to iraklia (Website) however it still looks a bit tourist orientated 😞 so we shall see...

Although I am quite sick (and lex a little bit) we are positive and enjoying ourselves (with only the expected momentary lapses...

Ferryloads of Love to you all back home!!
Kaja if you read this... Lex keeps saying she really wants to watch the lion king with you!hehe
Lui, Ren if u read this... what am i going to do about bday pressies - do u mind waiting for me to get home so i can get you something much better (due to cost) in thailand, even if its not there for the days?? Keep in touch Ez (and Lex reading a booktrade book at my shoulder!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



10th September 2006

Hi guys!!
Hey there guys sounds like your having heapsa fun, and lots of moving about lol. well we'll keep checking your site to see what your up to coz it sounds more exciting than boring chch! talk to you later:-)and ive sent u an email lex.
11th September 2006

Coffee
Hiya, Just seen Col in C1, when I was in for my daily Long Black, and he emailed me link to this - very cool I shall keep an eye on your travels, have fun C
13th September 2006

cool...
groovy to get your news and see the pickies from the other side of the planet. Greek Isles look and sound great. Any cool insects yet? Weird bities? Thanks for the updates! Sorry to hear its so hot (not) - its frezzing here. Love P Uncle
15th September 2006

Weird insects...
Havnt seen any live specimins however have lots of evidence... in the form of a spotty alex!! hehe all is good thanks for your guys msgs. Bye now from the sunny greek isles!

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.138s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb