Naxos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Naxos
September 1st 2012
Published: September 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well we arrived on Naxos today, and are enjoying having some time to relax and continue our beach bum lives. We're staying at a lovely family run establishment called Soula Hotel that is a few meters away from the beach. We've become good friends with one of our roommates Allira, who's from Melbourne but going to study in London.

We also have a 4th roommate from London. An almost 50yr old woman who is quite the character. Waking up every morning at about 5-5:30am, banging around the room, walking around naked, talking to herself, playing games on her phone, turning on the main light...makes it hard to get back to sleep in the morning! On the day of our boat trip, she woke me up at 5 with her loudness and I couldn't get back to sleep. We had to leave at 8:45 that morning. The earliest we've woken up in WEEKS. Needless to say, the 3 of us have not been that happy about all of the noise in the wee hours. We're all too nice to tell her to shut up!

Our first day here, we took it easy and walked around a bit, had a lovely dinner out then came back and slept in until almost noon the next day! Living the beach bum life is definitely not that hard 😊 The next day, Sasha, Allira and I went to the beach and ended up being there for about 5 hours! We came back and made some food in the room, and just read and hung around the town. We also walked up to Apollo's Temple that is nearby. It was constructed in 6 BC, and it's quite amazing that it's still standing! That was about the extent of our historical learning here in Naxos. On our third day, the three of us booked a boat trip that went out to some desolate islands. We snorkeled at this untouched beach (with exception for a few private tours) and had a lovely lunch of goat meat and rosemary potatoes at the only taverna on the island. Even the employees make the boat trip into the island to run the place. We were supposed to stop at some sea caves, but the wind was too strong and we couldn't anchor nearby. I have to say, the best part of the whole trip was sitting on the bow with Allira on our way to the island, and getting absolutely drenched by the massive waves. We proceeded to do this on the way home as well, which was just as fun, but a little too cold. Especially since it was a 3 1/2 hr trip each way to and from Naxos! We endured it, and ended up being the only crazy people out of our group of 12 that sat up front outside the whole trip 😊 I also was the only one to see a dolphin! It jumped clear out of the water right in front of me then disappeared!

Today, we've checked out of Soula's but are bumming around until our 2:05pm ferry to Mykonos! Allira is also headed that way, so it'll be fun to continue to spend time with her and her best friend who is meeting her there. Soni, the night receptionist from Santorini who is completely in love with Sasha was going to join us, but he overslept and missed his ferry. According to our friend Lauren (also from our "Santorini Family"), Soni is absolutely devastated 😞 This morning they are helping him by drinking his sadness away. It would've been nice to see him, so it really is too bad he can't make it over to Mykonos anymore.

Today is also Sasha's birthday! She turns the big 2-5! Allira and I bought her a slice of cake last night, and she thoroughly enjoyed it for breakfast this morning 😊

Adding a bunch of photos from Santorini up on Facebook, so if you have that check them out! Tried to update the photo program for travelblog, but it didn't work. I'll have to post an entry when I get home saying I've updated all blogs with photos.

I'm really starting to look forward to coming home. I know I've mentioned it quite a bit, but I think because I'm starting to feel sick again (boo!), and just because I really am a family person, I do miss everyone back home a lot!

T-minus 8 days!

😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb