A Little Less Africa, A Little More Asia, Please


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Naxos
November 9th 2007
Published: November 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Cool ColumnsCool ColumnsCool Columns

This was at Zues' temple in Athens, just steps from our hotel.
I am going heavy on the pictures, light on the content this time, folks. Here is the Reader's Digest update:

Spent a few days in Santorini, Greece, rented a 4-wheeler and didn't kill ourselves even with Chris at the wheel (or handlebars). It was only a 50 cc and I'm pretty sure my parent's neighbor's 6 year old son has one that powerful. We were CRUSIN' uphill.

Came to Naxos and almost didn't get off the ferry. We are talking a BIG ferry and they almost couldn't put the ramp down on the pier due to winds and turbulent seas... Seriously almost didn't let us off. Once they did I think my 40 ound bag was the only thing that kept me from flying off into the harbor.

The next day was nice and we sat on the beach almost all day and read. We were wearing coats and sock hats, but on the beach none-the-less. The next day we rented a 4-wheeler and for 5 euros more the guy let us keep it an extra half a day. Good for him because there probably weren't going to be more customers. Good for us because 10 minutes into
It's All Greek To Me...It's All Greek To Me...It's All Greek To Me...

Actual Ancient Greek.
our ride we were soaking wet from the rain and cold as... something really cold. We came back to warm up and dry off, and Chris really wanted to go out so I told him to have fun, I was staying in the nice warm room with my book. Good thing, too, because today it was AWESOME and sunny and almost even warm, and we drove all around Naxos, which is 10 times bigger than Santorini (literally)

Tomorrow we go back to Athens for a couple of days. We will be spending Chris' THIRTIETH BIRTHDAY there (November 11), and it will probably be lame-o because it is just me with him, so please send him an email. At least others are thinking of him during this difficult time in his life (he claims to be totally cool with the whole 30 thing, but I remain unconvinced)

Then on the 12th/13th it is off to South Africa. Oh, one more thing. Can I tell you how WONDERFUL it is to be traveling on US Dollars right now????? If you don't live under a rock you will know what I mean - I am in Greece and I know that
The AcropolisThe AcropolisThe Acropolis

Here is the stadium on the Acropolis... also just steps from our hotel.
the US economy is not rosy right now. GO SPEND SOME MONEY for the sake of the poor newlyweds out here in the world with money that is worth a lot less now a days. Just a rant. I'm done. Until next time.

Sabrina and the Old Man.

PS Forgot to mention why this blog is so titled. After South Africa we are skipping Kenya and Dubai and going straight to Asia. Turns out Dubai is REALLY expensive, and we didn't have anything planned for Kenya, really, so we decided to go straight to Asia and make up for the loss of two cool countries by visiting two other cool countries that happen to be a lot cheaper. Hopefully. Nothing like traveling by the seat of your pants!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Athens OlympicsAthens Olympics
Athens Olympics

This is at the stadium. It has all of the modern Olympics on it... can you find St. Louis and Melbourne?
Olympic NerdOlympic Nerd
Olympic Nerd

Chris loves the Olympics, and this is the stadium in Athens that was built for the first modern olympics. Don't know the date, but he could tell you.
SantoriniSantorini
Santorini

Climbing the mountain in Santorini, this was our view on the way up.
Santorini SunsetSantorini Sunset
Santorini Sunset

Santorini is known for its sunsets... since we were there on cloudy days I still think they are better at the Plantation House.
IaIa
Ia

This is in the northernmost town on the island. The whole island is freaking cute.
Death By 50CCDeath By 50CC
Death By 50CC

I can just see his mind trying to think about all the stupid things he could manage with such a small 4-wheeler.
Blue Star FerriesBlue Star Ferries
Blue Star Ferries

Here is the BIG boat we have been traveling around on... on which we have been traveling. WHATEVER.
Cold BeachesCold Beaches
Cold Beaches

I'd love to be here on the beach when it is actualy WARM, but then we would have to deal with tourists. It's a toss up.
Tried to SwimTried to Swim
Tried to Swim

This is where I almost fell in the water today.
Applo's Gate...Or Door.Applo's Gate...Or Door.
Applo's Gate...Or Door.

This is Hora, on the island of Naxos, and Appolo's Gate. Incidentally, every island's main city is called Hora. It's a bit confusing sometimes.


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb