Naxos in a nutshell!!!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Naxos
May 24th 2007
Published: May 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

okay, this is Kelly Carr now speaking, we are trading off and on on the blogging. so, we left off meeting eddie "harmless eddie" in naxos. he asked if we were miki and we said yes and he took us off to hotel glaros, a room we had booked from one of our books just the day earlier. the port of naxos is small, not too many bars, very quiet island, and he took us pretty much in silence to hotel glaros because he was from albania and only spoke a little english.

we arrived to the hotel arounnd 0100 and it was great, so much better than fivos!!!! it was so quaint and so clean. it was done like a seaside hotel with aquamarine colors and clean beds and a great bathroom and a fantastic balconoy that overlooked a private beach. we took an ambien, unpacked minimally and headed to bed. Miki and I got up late the next day and missed the continental breakfast but walked 5 minutes back to the port and had a fantastic breakfast of crepes and pastiserries and orange juice and we started scoring free stuff and scored a free dessert called "fantastico". it was a start to a good day.

after breakfast we head up into the small town of naxos and into the kastro of town. it was a maze of small roads with whitewashed houses and blue painted doors and old fashioned bakeries with small markets and trinkets stores and little kids running around. it was fantastic.

it was late by now since miki and I had slept in so we stopped at a local market and bought feta cheese, wine, and some essentials and then headed to a local bakery and bought some fresh baked bread and then bought some mythos beer (the coor light of greece) and headed to our private beach in front of hotel glaros and had a blast until sunset when we enjoyed our snack of cheese, bread and wine, and then we went to a sunset concert in the old venetian museaum castle at the top of naxos island. they were to do tradiotnal dances and musical instruments and all that and it was all you could eat and drink citron ( the local island liquor) and boy, by 2015 everyone including the old people were loaded on citron!

the sunset was fantastic and we danced and listended to the music and drank citron. miki even danced with the main dancer. it was late by then and we were starving so we found a rooftop resturant that served the best saganki ( fried cheese) and lamb and spaghetti and wine and had a great time, then we headed home and went to bed.

we rented a car the next day and drove around the whole island of naxos. it was such an adventure to rent and folllow the map and see all the villages. along the way we ran into goats and donkeys and cute little kids and we found out about souvlaki (grilled pork on a skewer). the towns were amaxing. small, small towns with no running water and kids running around and ancient ruins everywhere.

a story to note, miki went to an ancient byzantine church and rang the bell and it rang throughout the entire city and I was so embarrassed and there was a nun sitting in the church who gave us the lok of death and then we were totally not dressed approraitely to be in a church and that was embarrasing and
private beachprivate beachprivate beach

the water was COLD!!
then we took pictures and that was wrong so we just messed up at that church. off then to find some ancient temples and we got lost for a good two hours and eventually found our way back to where we wanted to go much much later... all in all, the car was an awesome 6 hour trip and it was worth it cause we came back, showered up, and met our friend eddie out for a flask of wine and dessert and then we headed back to bed for antoher long nights sleep.... we had to get up early to catch the ferry onto santorini.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

private beachprivate beach
private beach

the water was COLD!!
Sunset dance concertSunset dance concert
Sunset dance concert

sweatyass main dancer
The infamous church!!The infamous church!!
The infamous church!!

Where Miki rang the bell and the Wrath of God came down upon her!


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb