Mykonos and Delos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
September 18th 2010
Published: September 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mykonos - the glitz and glamour, the oiled up bodies on the beach, the gays strutting...... all these things are what hits you in the face on Mykonos. I cant really say this island does anything at all for me.... its very plastic and created.... yet, very beautiful.
We arrived, and were whisked away to our apartment at Ornos. We had a wander around Mykonos town, through little Venice and planned our next day which was to take a trip to the neighbouring island of Delos. Delos is the hub of the Cyclades islands. It is similar to Ephasus in Turkey. We arrived by boat to the vista of ruins almost 2500 years old. It had a very lucrative slave market in its time which sold up to 10,000 slaves per day!!!! We wandered around the site, taking in the stories of the gods and nymphs. Beyond the ruins stood a mountain, which John insisted we climb. I must be mad, but having got to the top, I must say the vista was amazing. Coming down, was as usual, much easier.
On our wander around the town, we met with a very large Pelican. Originally, there was a pelican called Petros who gave up migrating, and took up residence in the town. Sadly he died, but because he was missed so much by the locals, they acquired a new one. See him on the photos below.
We also had a day on the beach where the film "Shirley Valentine" was filmed. It now looks nothing like on the film, but is a beautiful beach with very expensive ( 12 euros / day ) sunbeds, and bars. I looked very earnestly for a Tom Conti, but one was nowhere to be seen......


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb