SHORE LEAVE


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Amorgos
June 30th 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


DAY 76

SAILING DAY 4

The weather outside the bay has calmed this morning. After a crazy night we are tired before we begin. So we are on our way to Amorgos without eating breakfast. This is a small rugged island that has been inhabited since 3300BC. The entrance to the port fills us with total awe and inspiration as this is the stereotypical Grecian village, whitewashed buildings built up onto the mountains with bright blue window shutters.

We are going to rent a car and travel around the island. There are six of us going so we are told we will have to rent two cars. But when we go to the Thomas Car Rental we are able to persuade him to allow us to take the mini van as we promise to have it back this evening. It is spoken for on the following morning. He is the nicest looking man we have encountered with the most beautiful blue eyes!! He is quite taken with Laurie our young travel friend.

We have few choices of roads on this island, there is only one main road that branches out in the only round about and we manage to take the wrong road because the map we have is very inefficient or maybe our navigator is poor, right Angie (the navigator). Francine has volunteered to be the driver. She is the only one that brought her drivers license with her that is willing to drive. Angie did not bring her license because she had her stolen in South America and did not want to chance it happening again. Francine is not used to driving on the right side of the road, Australians drive on the left. She needs only one reminder to stay right at the very beginning and we all survived the winding roads up and down the island mountains. Quite the tour driver and didn't hit any goats.

We drive to the north of the island to the village of Chora, which is a quaint village with the old Greek windmills at the top of the hill. When walking through the town we chance upon a sweet shop and order the most delicious treats, we have the chocolate pie with ice cream. Fran had vanilla and rose and Angie just had vanilla ice cream. The chocolate pie was actually really really rich moist fudge
ONE OF MANY CHURCHESONE OF MANY CHURCHESONE OF MANY CHURCHES

There are churches everywhere you look!
cake dripping with chocolate. YUM,YUM!

Thojari and Lagada are two other villages on the northern tip of the island, they are very small but also very quaint with the typical blue and white painted homes that makes the Greek landscapes so special

Ahh, a hot shower after two days. We have been washing and swimming. We are in our pj's. Angie is working on the blog. Francine is playing DJ and choosing the music. We both break into dancing and singing. The next thing the other girls have joined in, we move onto the deck and pump up the volume. The vodka, ouzo, lemoncello flows. We are moored at the dock in the centre of town and having a ball. Eventually, at about 11pm the Port Policeman comes along and asks us to turn the volume down. We all sit around talking and then our Captain notices Thomas with blue eyes, walking back from one of the cafes and invites him on board for a drink. We ask where everyone goes dancing. He indicated the Blue Bar across the bay. The Blue Bar was used in the movie The Deep Blue. He says he can walk us over
SWEET SHOPSWEET SHOPSWEET SHOP

The very best pastries in the whole wide world. AWESOME!
there. It's now midnight and you have never seen five women move so fast. Dressed, make up and hair all done in 10 minutes. We arrive at the bar and it is empty. The place is ours. We put in our requests for music and drinks and start dancing. Yvonne keeps asking for the music from Zorba the Greek. Eventually at about 2.30am it is finally played and we try to learn the steps. 3am and we return to the boat. Feet aching from all the dancing and tired from all the sightseeing during the day. Yvonne says a prayer to the porcelain god and we fall asleep.


DAY 77

SAILING DAY 5

No, I don't want to get up. We have only four hours sleep. A visit to the Chozoviotissa Monastery (built in 1088) requires a drive down along the winding mountain coast then a long walk up the switchback steps up the mountain to this fantastic dwelling on the side of the mountain. The Monastery houses an icon (painted picture) of the Blessed Virgin that was found floating in the water along the base of the mountain. It was considered a miracle the the icon was found in this exact spot.

It is in the small chapel in the monastery that continues to be a working one. The priest was there and gladly offered visitors who dared to climb the 800 steps a glass of water and Greek delight (candy).

Mouros Beach was another destination that was suggested to us but the steep walk down to the beach was not very inviting even though there were a few who were swimming. Laurie and Bryan did so and came back to met us, as we decided to sit in the shade of a nearby restaurant. We have to return the rental car and get back to the boat.

We are heading off to Anti Karos, a deserted island. We sail for a few hours and at 4pm arrive in the channel between the islands and set anchor. There is time for swimming and snorkeling and Angela (German) and Yvonne find some sponge growing but it is too deep to touch.

Tonight we have roast lamb, steak, veggies and bread. All of sudden the captain calls us all up on deck. The anchor is not holding and we have to reset the anchor in the dark. The rest of the night we all sleep lightly and Angela (G) sleeps in her hammock on deck. Once again we are all awaken early in the morning about 5:30 to a rocking boat, we have drifted close to shore and need to get to deeper water soon before we get beached. ALL HANDS ON DECK!! AGAIN!! This is what we paid for - excitement and we got a full night of it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

THE COW AND THE CHICKTHE COW AND THE CHICK
THE COW AND THE CHICK

There is also a chicken sugar server.
CHORACHORA
CHORA

A view of the town
FRAN IS A REALLY GOOD DRIVERFRAN IS A REALLY GOOD DRIVER
FRAN IS A REALLY GOOD DRIVER

I just wanted to see if I could put my fingers through the dashboard
WAITING FOR:WAITING FOR:
WAITING FOR:

a) a good looking man b) the bus or c) a good looking man
YOU GUESSED  IT!!YOU GUESSED  IT!!
YOU GUESSED IT!!

Another church


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb