Summer sun 2017 Day 07 - Elaphonisos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese
July 25th 2017
Published: July 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

I got up today to the bright and beautiful view of the sea and as is the habit, of most of us, checked my phone to see the WhatsApp messages. Akshay had sent one at 0445hrs that said 'do not knock or call as Pradnya hasn't slept much". Actually before going to sleep yesterday, there were 2 dolls in the lower bedroom where Pradnya was going to sleep, and I had teased her about them being haunted and coming to life at 0310hrs, unknowing that it would cost them a sleepless night. After an hour of Swati and me getting up and Swati doing yoga in the picturesque terrace, Pradnya and Akshay came up to the living room cursing me for my prank. Pradnya looked more embarrassed than scared as we all had a good laugh.
For breakfast we had got eggs yesterday from the town and along with the veggies we had picked up earlier we had masala omelettes Desi style, thanks to Pradnya. As would be the case the cleaning of the kitchen and washing of the utensils was left for the boy's which we gladly did.
Ada came to bid us goodbye as she had to go out of town for work and won't be returning till after we left. So after another rounds of pappi's and jhappi's she left but not before strongly recommending us to go to Elafonisos and Symos beach claiming it was the best beach in Greece with turquoise Waters just like the carribeans. Elafonisos was 2 hrs away from us and we had decided to spend the day relaxed enjoying the view from the house and exploring this cute town of Githio but with 3 people insisting on us going to Elafonisos we decided check it out. So we packed our sacks, wore our swim wears and hit the road. The drive was completely through internal roads with orange farms laden with the fruit most of the way. To enter the island we had to take a ferry across a narrow stretch of sea along with the car. The water had indeed turned turquoise here and there were three distinct colors of blue. As soon as we touched the island we left for the Symos beach. If you Google it, which we did ofcourse, it's a very unique beach with a narrow stretch of sand connecting two island. Also it looked completely Sandy as against most of the semi Sandy beaches. All roads on that small island reach Symos beach which was on the other side. The beach isn't visible immediately as one has to walk a little uphill from the car park before the beach appears in it's full glory. It's so sandy and coupled with the high winds, there are heaps of sand everywhere, so much so that Anvi asked us if we were in a desert!
The view is simply divine, the blue of the water sperated by the narrow Golden of the sand. Here we bought a beach bed and ordered few beers and sandwiches, all at exorbitant rates. Along with Akshay, Anvi and me, the regular water lovers even Swati came into the sea this time. The high winds were creating some great surf but the same winds were blowing sand in the face while lying on the bed. The water is crystal clear there. The sun was almost on top of us and we could see the shadow of the wave beneath it on the sea bed almost 6 feet down.
Pradnya caught up on some lost sleep before we head back to reach Githio in good time as tomorrow was an early start. Two hours later in Githio in our beautiful house, the girls decided to cook today. Akshay and me went to the town centre to get a few items and while we were there enjoyed a cup of coffee as the sun set @ 2030hrs. The girls had cooked delucious mixed veg rice, more like khichadi, kacharya (mharashtrian style potato bhaji) and fried masala aubergines which we gulped down with the Cardu we had, all sitting in the terrace overlooking the black sea and the guiding lighthouse.
Tomorrow we had to take a flight to Santorini from Athens and so needed to push off from this beautiful place by 0630hrs. As Akshay and me cleaned the table and washed the utensils the girls packed the bags before we hit the bed for another exciting day. Swati and I wished Prandya good night and asked her not to think of the dolls.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb