Off we go to Nafplio! Hey that rhymed...


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese
October 1st 2006
Published: November 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We headed for Nafplio having heard that it was one of the prettiest towns in Greece and a great jumping off point for daytrips to Mycene and Epidaurus. After the smog and congestion of Athens it came as quite a relief. Nafplio is right on the water and there is a lovely boardwalk lined with palm trees on one side and beautiful blue-green water on the other. A Venetian fortress overseas the town and you can walk up a few hundred steps to get to the fortress but in the extremely hot weather we decided to forgo that privilege.

Our hotel was up a seemingly endless maze of staircases but the view was worth it. In front of our hotel there was a rooftop patio that we could use and the view that we had was literally postcard worthy (we sent copies of the postcards to our parents). We were supposed to pay 27 Euro a night for our room but the guy who owned the place liked Canadians and talking hockey with Kyle so we only paid 26 Euro a night!

The next day we explored the archaeological site of Mycene. Once again it was very cool to see something in person that I had only read about in textbooks. We spent the remainder of the day wondering the narrow winding streets and enjoying he relaxed pace. The next day to was off to Olympia.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb