Beach day


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands
June 20th 2011
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Zakynthos is home to more breeding endangered loggerhead sea turtles than any other Mediterranean isle. In the more densly nested areas there are nests every 30 cm on the beach!! We visited the HQ of the Eco-centre that manages and supervises their preservation, talked with the staff and Will watched a video about the turtles. We took in their exhibits and then walked to the beach.

After climbing the stairs down to Gerakas Beach we were met by one of the staff who informs everyone coming to the beach where to stay away from not to disturb turtle nests. The nests they know about are marked with metal contraptions. Like Voidokilia and Methoni beach, Gerakas is idyllic – endless clean sand and crystal clear water with cliffss as bookends. Kim joined the local flavour by going half au naturel on the beach anmd in the surf - Marika was cool - Will and I kept our disctance...

Will has taught us how to play the card game Spit and is the undisputed master of our clan at the game.

Will nad I are doingt emails and blog stuff from a cool Internet Cafe in Zante Town then off to dinner...



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



20th June 2011

Triple A, Eh!?
where do you find these amazing places? have been following all of your adventures - triple A reporting (awesome, amusing, a-breathless). with you in spirit sending lots of hugs for your next adventures. love isa

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb