Blue Caves, Shipwreck Beach and a sad thing


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Zakynthos
June 21st 2011
Published: June 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The sad thing is that the sea claimed Kim’s wedding ring – which my dad had given to my mom. In a very turbulent pull of the surf, the ring was literally sucked like a vacuum from Kim’s finger. The action was so swift that although she felt the initial tug there was no time to even clench the fist to prevent its release. Even with goggles there was no chance of seeing it – even with ogles it was impossible to see an inch in front of the glass and thhe pull of the surf could have had it half a kilometer out in minutes – wee felt the bottom in the crashing surf and looked in futility for a long time until we had to board our ship. In a twist of fate when my folks were swimming in Acapulco the same thing happened – suction created by turbulent surf pulled the ring off mom’s finger, but the water was clear and dad found it. We were not so lucky – the kids were wonderful at consoling us…

Prior to the loss, we hired a local boat to take us in and through the blue caves and we jumped overboard and swam in the surf which due to minerals in the water actually makes our skin look blue while in the water. The caves were more than expected and Marika and Will also loved their first glass bottom boat experience where we saw sponges and starfish and some fish of varying sizes.

Then we switched boats to a more robust high speed craft and headed to the most photographed beach in Greece – accessible only by boat and hosting a large rusted shipwreck on the beach – oddly enough its name is Shipwreck Beach. We had a nice albeit churning swim until we lost the ring.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



23rd June 2011

Re: the sad thing
So sorry about the ring, guys. I know how heartbroken you must feel, having lost mine once for a year, but especially given the history. I hope you can find a replacement that you both love as much or more. Hugs to you both.

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb