Day 15


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Kefalonia
September 22nd 2010
Published: September 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 15

At 6:50am I woke up, got ready for the day (sunscreen, lunch, shoes and all), then met up with everyone at the bottom of our apartment stairs. It was our prof’s birthday that day and we had all pitched in and bought him 2 apple pies in celebration. So the plan was to meet at the stairs all together and walk down to the docks singing ‘Happy Birthday’ when he was in earshot. He was surprised and pretty choked that we did that and he started to blush. It was a nice reception and we brought the cake with us to the site. At 10:30am, our regular break time, we had lunch and the pies as desert. Our prof went back for 2nds and there was still a giant piece left! We saved a piece for Vasilis, since he’s been driving back to Poros everyday during our excavations to get things done in town.

Our excavations today went very well. My team uncovered 2 big holes leading to somewhere in the ground, my prof is guessing it could be burials! We also unearthed some nice pottery (painted, well-maintained and big pieces) in about 3-4 different spots in just our 1x5m trench part. It’s only 1/5th of our trench, since our entire trench theta is 5x5m long, and on the other end our prof is very certain that there is another burial! So we took elevations for all those landmarks in our rectangular trench and ended the day by taking photos of our findings.

We loaded back onto the bus after packing up the storage trailer and headed back to Poros. A few of us went back to the apartments and got ready to go to the beach! It was a really hot day so I only stayed for about an hour and a half, but the water was really fun (like yesterday, except without the crazy wind, the water was very choppy. At one point the waves were so big and powerful that it pulled down my swimsuit bottom in the back! Embarrassing but it could have been worse; no one saw :P). After the beach I took a shower, caught up on some emails and then started my 2nd Greek unit with Isabelle and Lisa. I finished it, but the mosquitoes got the best of me on the patio! Apparently there’s only 2-3 more weeks till mosquito season’s over, so I’m just waiting for that day 😊

8pm we had a group dinner out for my prof’s birthday at Dionysus restaurant along the water, close to Vasilis’ bar, Kivatos (it means Noah’s Arc in Greek). For starters, the restaurant served bread; but not just bread, it was toasted bread with olive oil and tomatoes on top with a garlic humus dipping sauce that was very delicious! Very garlic-ee, my mom would have loved it! Then Isabelle and I shared a stuffed tomato/green peppers that came with fries, calamari that also came with fries, and tzatziki on the side. Greeks don’t believe in serving order, so we got our tzatziki first, then our tomato dish then the calamari came. But the squid was worth it because it was fresh, hot and tasty! We added some lemon juice from a friend’s dish and it was a filling dish. We couldn’t finish it all but we shared the extras. The meal ended with complimentary grapes (it’s the best season for grapes in Greece right now apparently! I’ve been eating some everyday ). After dinner we all walked to Kivatos, where we had chocolate cookies and chocolate for desert and it acted like birthday cake. We sang for our prof once more, then came the drinks. This time I had a Bailey’s; boy was it strong! I’m used to drinking it mixed, but here they give it to you straight on the rocks. For $4 EU I walked home with the group, after about an hour, pretty happy and in a constant smile. Now it’s just past midnight; we get to sleep in till our 9:30am meet at the docks for a late excavation, but I hope 8 hours of sleep is enough after today/tonight!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb