Melissani lake


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Kefalonia
September 15th 2023
Published: September 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Melissani Lake is one of Kefalonia's most awe-inspiring natural attractions, and it's easy to see why. Nestled in a forested area just a few kilometers from the town of Sami, this subterranean lake offers an experience that feels almost otherworldly.

The lake is named after Melissanthi, a nymph in Greek mythology who was said to have drowned in the lake due to unrequited love. As you explore the lake, you might find yourself falling in love with its surreal beauty. Sunlight penetrates the cave’s opening, illuminating the water and creating a magical display of colors that range from deep blues to emerald greens.

A boat tour is the best way to experience Melissani Lake. As you glide through the water, you'll pass through two distinct chambers. The first chamber is roofed, adding an air of intimacy and secrecy, while the second chamber is open to the sky, basking in the natural light that filters in. The change in atmosphere between the two chambers is a journey in itself.

The water is exceptionally clear, with visibility that can exceed 30 meters, allowing you to see the underwater stalactites that have formed over thousands of years. This also means you can see the lake's bottom quite clearly, even when it's at its deepest, which is around 39 meters.

Ecologically, Melissani Lake is fascinating. It's a karstic lake, meaning it's part of a larger system of caves and channels that are interconnected. The water is brackish, a mix of freshwater and saltwater, which enters the cave from the sea as well as from the mountains.

This natural wonder is not just a feast for the eyes; it also has a calming, almost meditative effect on many who visit. The cool atmosphere, the gentle sound of oars touching the water, and the astonishing visual spectacle make a trip to Melissani Lake a serene and unforgettable experience.

If you're planning a trip to Kefalonia, Melissani Lake is a must-visit. Not only does it offer a unique geological and ecological experience, but it also gives you a moment to pause and appreciate the stunning natural beauty that this remarkable island has to offer.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0914s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb