Chapter 32: Corfu: playing doctor on a beautiful day


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu
March 4th 2004
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Chapter 32



Martin plays doctor on a beautiful day



Martin arose at around midday, having already told the cleaner to come back the following day, and went to fetch Maya some cream, bandages and more painkillers. He also managed to pick her up some pop, croissants and a coffee. She had managed to sleep during the night but was still in a lot of pain, though the bruising had come out and it seemed she should be back on her feet within a few days. Having applied the cream and the bandage she told Martin to go and enjoy the sunshine as it seemed today was to be the hottest day so far on their trip. Martin felt a little hesitant to leave her but she insisted she was fine to read her trilogy and saw no point in Martin missing out on the gorgeous weather. Reluctantly Martin headed out to the castle area, where the views were even more stunning as the Albanian mountains were a lot more visible, some excellent photo opportunities were taken.

He sat himself in the sunlit square right by the cricket pitch where they still played cricket; a legacy still left from British rule. People watching was one of Martin’s favourite past-times as he sat observing mainly locals going about their daily lives. His walk took him right past the new port where there wasn’t too much to see except for a few yachts and ferries. On the way he did come across a supermarket where he bought some condiments and went back to see how Maya was getting on.

This had been the first time pretty much where they had been apart for more than a few hours in the whole trip so far and Martin did enjoy this time as Maya did, it was just unfortunate that a badly sprained ankle had been the cause of it. Martin reflected on the trip so far and was very happy to be in Corfu now as even though parts of Italy had really interested him, this felt a little more like a holiday within the trip and March was already bringing some warmer days.

Back at the hotel, Maya was feeling somewhat better, though still in some discomfort as the injury was beginning to show the colours of the rainbow. The one good thing was that she had gone through a substantial section of Tolkien’s trilogy as she had nothing better to do, stuck in 60’s style room with no company but the sounds emanating from the market stalls down below. Martin showed her the photos he’s taken during the day which at least gave her some flavour of the island. Martin went and fetched some warm food later in the evening as Maya was still unable to walk and they spent the remainder of the day in the hotel room planning ahead for when the injury did finally heal. Highlight: The walk and quiet time by the cricket pitch



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb