On To Corfu


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu » Corfu Town
June 18th 2015
Published: June 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

PANORAMA - Paleokastritsa Bay

And then we landed in Corfu. This was totally out of our original plan. But, it was a creative way to keep moving. Plan B now included a four day stay in Corfu, a flight to Santorini with an overnight there, and then an early morning ferry to Sifnos. Which is where we are now, but back to Corfu.

Call us crazy, but we like to stay out by Mouse Island and the airport. Mouse Island is one of the most scenic spots in Corfu town and the airport can be very entertaining. Yes, it's a bit loud, but so fun to watch the planes land and take-off from the causeway in the middle of the approach way to the runway. We have gone there for years and it's just a silly thing that we enjoy. Our hotel balcony had a great view of the runway. It was especially nice at sunset.

Our long walk into town included a stroll along the coast with nice views of the old and new forts. The markets are always good in Corfu and we visited all of them. A stop at The Liston on the Esplanade was also a must.

Paleokastritsa is one of our favorites. It's a beach town with a scenic overlook complete with a monastery and numerous peacocks. We took the bus from Corfu town and spent a wonderful day there enjoying the area. A trip on "The Yellow Submarine" was a nice cruise along the rocky coast and included some underwater viewing of the local reef and fish.

All went well with our early morning flight out of Corfu and in to Santorini. The next morning we were on the ferry to Sifnos. This is my special island and I just love being here. It's the BEST!!! Next stop, back to Santorini and then to Mykonos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The CausewayThe Causeway
The Causeway

On the causeway, you can watch the planes pass directly overhead while landing or taking off from the airport.
The EsplanadeThe Esplanade
The Esplanade

Built by the French, during their rule of Corfu, between1807-14.
Freddo Cappuccino at The Liston on The EsplanadeFreddo Cappuccino at The Liston on The Esplanade
Freddo Cappuccino at The Liston on The Esplanade

The Liston is the most famous of the cafes on The Esplanade.
Alternative donkey ridingAlternative donkey riding
Alternative donkey riding

Another year older, but still a child at heart
PaleokastritsaPaleokastritsa
Paleokastritsa

Some archaeologists suggest that Paleokastritsa Bay may have been the home of the Phaecians and the site where Odysseus washed ashore and met Nausikka for the first time.
PaleokastritsaPaleokastritsa
Paleokastritsa

Paleokastritsa means " old castle palace"


21st June 2015

So gorgeous!
We are going to Corfu and so these pictures are more than just gorgeous this time. Now they will make us more excited to go there. Thanks. We enjoy your blog posts so much.
22nd June 2015
Corfu - Vlakerani Monastery and Pontikonissi (Mouse Island)

Monastery
Amazing beauty.
5th July 2015
Causeway under the approach to the airport

Airport hotels
Believe me, we've done our fair share of airport hotels, especially when there's a view of the runway. Now you've shared this tip V wants to stay there too!

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb