Lazy Day in Crete


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Heraklion
May 19th 2008
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Nothing much to report today. We had a minor disaster last night. We arrived at the airport at 20:30 for our 23:30 flight to Crete. I could not find our flight on the board. When I finally found someone to ask, we were informed the flight left at 19:30!!! I had checked the airlines web site earlier in the day and the flight was still on schedule. We called the travel agent we booked the ticket with and they stated they had been looking for us for 2 days. This would have been an impossible task as there must be 3000 hotel and apts in Rhodes. Their advice for us was to book another flight out of Rhodes and try to get a refund from the missed flight. Luckily there was an Olympic flight leaving at the same time and we were able to purchase tickets. We arrived in Crete 35 minutes later. We took a 35.00E cab to the hotel and fell into bed. Live and learn......

We are staying in the beautiful hotel in a small village called Koutouloufari. It is set on the side of a hill with many artisian shops. One thing there is plenty of in Greece is shopping. Crete is known for olive oil and one shop keeper was telling us today almost every family has olive trees and processes their own olive oil. She had a barrel of her family's oil in the shop and used it to fill up bottles and sell to the tourist.

We found a laundrymat today but you have to have the shop keeper do your laundry. We dropped it off at 12:00 noon and it was ready at 19:00. Saved us from standing around a hot building all day. It was getting a man to do our laundry for a change!


Interesting tidbit....all beaches and hotel swimming pools seem to be OK with topless sunbathing. Jessica and I have not joined this popular pastime!

Jessica here..

I would just like to mention I am participating in the MS Walk on June 1st, the day after we get back. Therefore I do not have any time to raise money in person. If anyone would like to donate you can do so online at:
https://msofs.mssociety.ca/2008walk/lookup.aspx?L=2
Just type in my name and it will pop up. I am with the team Kaptins' Krew.
Or you can email me and I'll collect later. Thanks so much.








Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



19th May 2008

Pictures
Here are some pictures. We accidently uploaded all to this blog. More photos to come tomorrow...

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb