Turkish Ruins and the Wrath of Zeus


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia
October 2nd 2010
Published: July 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thessaloniki and Litochoro.

After our time in the islands with family, we flew up to Thessaloniki in Macedonia/North Greece. It was a nice change of pace and was an opportunity to see the Turkish history in that part of Greece, as well as taste alot of amazing northern Greek foods.

After leaving the city we headed to Litochoro, the town at the base of Mount Olympus. We attempted to climb it, but Zeus brought all kinds of low altitude rain and fog throughout the 2 days we we were there. We hiked the first 14 kilometers from Litochoro to Prionia. This is technically not even on Mount Olympus yet, however it is the beginning of the traditional trail to the summit. Apparently, the rain and fog disappeared about 10 kilometers or so beyond where we decided to stop. Which we had to in hopes of not getting stuck on the trail in the dark and in the rain. Turns out we could have summitted after all if we had just powered through the rest of the fog. We caught a ride back to Litochoro with a German couple who were on vacation and cried in our moussaka back in town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb