B5 Travel Blog #2


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece
September 26th 2013
Published: September 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

What are the main characteristics of ancient Greek architecture?



The summary of the text was mostly describing how the visual looks of columns. These columns however hold significant importance to how well Greek ancient architecture is still standing today. The text described how Doric and Ionic were two different methods used for columns in Greek architecture. The text explained how every piece in architecture is dependent on what will be built, so the certain column built effects the overall structure and building. The characteristics listed for the columns included the type of material each column was made of, the type of curve or structure made on a column, and their form.



There are two forms of commonly found architecture for columns in ancient Greek. First of all you have to understand that columns are the most important part of architecture since they start the whole procedure. Without a column an architectural site cannot be built do due there being no base to be used to support all of the building and to support against earthquakes. Without the columns in Greek architecture the ancient buildings standing today wouldn't be standing at all. These columns wouldn't be existing at all in central Greece where they have been popularly used from the past. Doric columns have no base, this plain sense of style does not add any curves or fancy adding to it. The doric was just made for one purpose which was to hold up architecture. However the ionic columns were based differently that doric. Ionic columns had bases to support the columns, they had extra description with stone statues and pieces added to the columns, lastly the iconic had a frieze which is an image constantly carved around the column, and around the whole building in general. These ionic columns were found popular in the easter side of Greece. Overall ancient Greek architecture mostly consists of ionic and doric columns.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb