Return to Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 24th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.9792, 23.7166

Our last night on Milos was particularly memorable. We dined yet again on another fine meal of the freshest seafood and witnessed perhaps the most spectacular sunset that either of us had ever seen. The sunset was so colorful that even the restaurant staff were taking time out between waiting tables to get a quick photo.

Our return to Athens had a lot to live up to and I wasn't sure I was ready for a city again. We were pleasantly suprised however that after a short walk to nowhere in particular we found ourselves passing various interesting roman ruins and in no time at all were at the base of the Acropolis availing ourselves of the many photo opportunities. A climb up a short stairway lead us to an awe inspiring view across the whole of Athens, expansive and predominantly white. In the other direction there was a closer view of the Acropolis. So from this view point there was an iconic and panoramic view not to be missed no matter which way you looked.

It was Sunday in Athens so a large proportion of the population, mostly the younger set, were in the city enjoying a stroll or a coffee or attending a wedding. Cafe chairs and tables were spread out on uneven cobblestones, on marble pathways and stairways and pretty much anywhere where there was a space and a glimpse of the Acropolis. We found a rickety table on a leafy terrace and ordered retsina, lamb and eggplant stuffed with fetta. Our last chance to enjoy more fabulous greek food. Soon after the terrace was filling with the affluent set and balalakia music started to play in the courtyard below.

As we made our way back to our hotel room in the fading light, the narrow cobbled streets of the old town and the endless laneways filled with flea market stalls all started to look the same. We found ourselves hopelessly lost. Fortunately though we ended up at Hadrian's Arch which looked so impressive we decided we needed to go and see it again the next morning in the daylight. We did manage to find it again and so were able to capture a few images just prior to leaving the city for our flight to Prague and the next part of our journey.








Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb